Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Heard of this: Laying workers in a hive with lots of brood?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Heard of this: Laying workers in a hive with lots of brood?
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:44:35 pm »
Subject line says it all. I have never seen this: brood in various stages of development and cells with two eggs along with eggs laid on the side of cells. No queen in sight.  I was taught to place frames of developing brood inside a laying worker hive for a couple of weeks and the problem is solved. ALWAYS worked for me.  Anyone know what?s going on?  By the way, this is after 20 days of Formic Pro.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Heard of this: Laying workers in a hive with lots of brood?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 12:14:50 am »
Are you seeing a maximum of 2 eggs per cell?  From what I've heard, laying workers can lay many eggs in a cell, and you can even find eggs in pollen cells or elsewhere on the comb.  FormicPro can cause a supersedure.  I'm wondering if you have a newly laying queen in there who is just working out some kinks. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 02:00:58 am »
I agree with The15thMember on all counts, except the possibility of a new queen, and I would have agreed on that, except I learned from Iddee that a new queen will lay on the bottom of the cells, while laying workers lay on the sides. Even though a new queen may lay multiple eggs, these eggs will be on the bottom of the cells. There may be exceptions? Reagan may have hit the nail on the head to the mystery, the queen might have been laying which would explain brood of all stages, but then superseded or eliminated with the use of formic pro. There seems to be a consensus on the subject of queens and queen loss, being a sometimes problem of supersedure or queen elimination, when using formic and or formic pro; 'if not administered under' 'just right' conditions? Does this sound logical?   
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 05:42:54 am »
2sox,
What are your temperatures?
I agree, you probably have a new queen. There is a good chance the queen was killed by the formic pro.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 08:56:30 am »
Thanks for the replies, gents.  Very useful. And I believe the points you each make are valid.

I see normally laid eggs - right at the center in the bottom - and then I spot cells with two eggs and some laid on the side. It is possible that I have a new queen, but all was normal when I put in the FP 20 days before. Don?t see how a QC could be built, hatched, a queen mated and starting to lay in that time.

The only thing I do know is what I see: Normally laid eggs, good amount of brood in various stages, and two eggs in a few cells with some laid on the side.

Jim,
Daytime temperatures are in the 70s. Nighttime in the 60s.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 10:55:51 am »
2sox,
Temperatures are good. High temperatures like we have down here most of the time are too high.
I would leave her alone for another 2 weeks and then see what the brood looks like.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 01:51:15 pm »
2Sox
I see normally laid eggs - right at the center in the bottom

In that case you have a nice young queen! Congratulations!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Heard of this: Laying workers in a hive with lots of brood?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 02:50:51 pm »
Per MB. - When you are confused by what you see and unsure what to do; the correct action to take is nothing. There are few beehive scenarios that are not self-fixed or clarified by time alone.  In such situations just put the lid back on and walk away for 10-12 days. When you come back, the status and what to do will be clear.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 03:53:07 pm »
Per MB. - When you are confused by what you see and unsure what to do; the correct action to take is nothing. There are few beehive scenarios that are not self-fixed or clarified by time alone.  In such situations just put the lid back on and walk away for 10-12 days. When you come back, the status and what to do will be clear.

I just LOVE this answer.  Thank you, HP.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 04:43:06 pm »

Spot on sometimes a newly mated queen will drop 2 eggs for a little while, until she get it together.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 12:21:55 am »
2Sox it has been about 2 weeks. Have you had an opportunity to take another look?

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 01:07:24 pm »
2Sox it has been about 2 weeks. Have you had an opportunity to take another look?

Yes. Just went in yesterday, actually.  No eggs at all.  Population dwindling. Combined with a strong colony with a double screen board.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 02:18:25 pm »
That?s a tough break 2Sox. I had hoped you had a queen.

anything