Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost a Hive at the Farm  (Read 1932 times)

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
Lost a Hive at the Farm
« on: March 26, 2021, 06:06:35 pm »
There is a frame's worth of bees hanging on but no sign of a queen.  They had plenty of feed but some critter has been raiding them: found the bottom screen caved in and the closure on the ground; plus, there are smashed bee stains around the entrance.

Will take these poor stragglers and combine them with the other hive, which is fairly strong considering the winter we had.  Will use the old newspaper method between the deep hive bodies.

Maybe it will be a great year.  They might fill two deeps and I'll have a chance to split next spring.

Maybe I'll catch a swarm?
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Lost a Hive at the Farm
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:54:17 pm »
Any idea on what. Skunk? Sorry for the lost hive

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 08:56:45 am »
As a rule I would not combine a failing / failed hive with a healthy one.  I feel it would be better to clean it up and give it some larvae to see if it can make a queen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 01:24:42 pm »
Any idea on what. Skunk? Sorry for the lost hive

Thank, medic.

Haven't got a clue what was eating them.  Whatever it was caved in the bottom screen.

Mary helped me combine the two hives yesterday.  We were through in 15 minutes.

The bottom deep with the stronger hive has a lot of food left from overwintering.  I gave the impoverished top group a pail of syrup, which both groups will have when they combine.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 05:44:45 pm »
Found a design flaw on the Finnish Bee Box screened bottom, which allowed the critter to cave it in and lick up bees.

To slide it in the slot the entrance end is left without any positive mechanical attachment for the screen.

That'll need to be fixed.

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 08:55:50 pm »
Shook the two deeps into one and solved the screen caving design flaw with four nails across the screen in the front.

Solved the critter problem (probably a racoon as evidenced by the bite marks) by putting a solid 3/8" plywood bottom on the hive stand and, get this, piling thorn bush branches fore and aft where the bees were being licked up.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 09:36:38 pm »
Judges 8:16
And he took the elders of the city, and thorns of the wilderness and briers, and with them he taught the men of Succoth.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 10:15:18 pm »
HE was killed; 8:21.  Obivious you are talking about the coon or skunk, not the honeybees?

I hope that critter does not come back to harass your hives.  Are your hives on a stand, Father Michael?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 01:55:16 pm »
Great quote, Bob!  Ha!

Yes, Van, my hives are on stands that put the entrance about 20 inches up.  But that racoon was smart.  It had caved in the bottom screen from below.  He or she would pull out the plastic mite counting board and get bees.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 05:49:36 pm »
I have had "coons" rip  the bottom screen but the oil pan was in the way and they never got to the bees.

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 09:03:51 pm »
I have had "coons" rip  the bottom screen but the oil pan was in the way and they never got to the bees.

That made me think that I might substitute an oil pan for the plastic mite counting board.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 09:10:19 pm »
Great quote, Bob!  Ha!

Yes, Van, my hives are on stands that put the entrance about 20 inches up.  But that racoon was smart.  It had caved in the bottom screen from below.  He or she would pull out the plastic mite counting board and get bees.

I find coon are both smart and persistent as you describe.  They are numerous in my area, hardwood country with plenty of coon hollows.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:50:18 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 12:34:32 pm »
Made a bottom board and top out of scrap plywood for the empty hive body full of drawn comb.

Set it out a few days for my home hive to rob out.  But it is now a swarm trap.

Would love to catch a swarm.

Have six traps out now but one will get a package of bees soon.