Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: KTBH or TTBH Plans?  (Read 9750 times)

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
KTBH or TTBH Plans?
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:33:24 am »
Does anyone have plans or know of a site where I can find plans for KTBH and TTBH?  I have seen Mr. Bush's site but I'd like to get some other opinions and perspectives as well.  Also, are they available commercially?  I'm a newbee but I've been reading about these things and I find them really fascinating.  I think natural comb is one of natures most beautiful works of art and having a couple of hives that do that is very appealing. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 
Best wishes, Winenutguy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:32:10 pm by winenutguy »

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: KTBH or TKBH Plans?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:09:34 pm »
You might want to check out www.bwrangler.com

He has one of the best sites for TBH's and many links.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cacklewack

• New Bee
    • Bee Thinking
Re: KTBH or TTBH Plans?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:34:09 am »
I suggest taking a look at the plans at the website below that Michael refers to. You can search for "how to build a top bar hive" and you'll find a PDF file that lays out, quite clearly, how to create a top bar hive.

Cheers,
Matt
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:19:54 pm by Cacklewack »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:05:15 am »
http://hirschbachapiary.com/
The other one is filtered (as you can see in Matt's post) or I would give you that.  Try a google search on "Top Bar Hives" and "Barefoot".

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:51:34 pm »
Thank you all!  Does anyone have any preference concerning the type of wood used?  Ceder, Pine, Etc.?  Treated or untreated?  I also want to put a window in mine.  Thank you all again.
Best, Winenutguy.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:45:17 pm »
Treated wood will kill bees.  Untreated of any kind will do fine.  Pine is light and cheap.  Cedar is light and rot resistant and expensive.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:49:01 pm »
Thank you Mr. Bush.  I think I'll go with cedar.  I have some in my forest and one of them has to come down. I have a friend thet will mill it for me for a piece of the tree.  Thank you for confirming my thinking!  Best wishes, Winenutguy.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:34:06 am »
Thank you Mr. Bush.  I think I'll go with cedar.  I have some in my forest and one of them has to come down. I have a friend thet will mill it for me for a piece of the tree.  Thank you for confirming my thinking!  Best wishes, Winenutguy.

Why don't you cut a 3 foot section out of that cedar tree and the cut that so you have a U running full length, kind of a dug out TBH?  Put a Salish Box painting on each end.  Sure make a nifty conversation piece.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 12:25:46 pm »
Why don't you cut a 3 foot section out of that cedar tree and the cut that so you have a U running full length, kind of a dug out TBH?  Put a Salish Box painting on each end.  Sure make a nifty conversation piece.

Now Brian, you certainly do come up with some very interesting things, you be that thinker man  :) :) :) have a most wonderful and awesome life and day, love life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 06:54:57 pm »
I built these.  Smaller hives, but you can increase the size as you wish.  I like the view window.

http://www.backyardhive.com/images//backyardhiveplans_a.pdf
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:11:06 am by Robo »

Offline idav5d

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 11:18:52 pm »
Here's a cool one that I stumbled across. It's made from some 4x4, 2x4, and plywood... nifty!  

EDIT: apparently I am not allowed to post images or links yet, so use your imagination! :-D