Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any products you recommend to repel deer?  (Read 7697 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Any products you recommend to repel deer?
« on: July 13, 2017, 01:00:46 am »
There are lots of products at the big box stores that say they repel deer from your garden.  Does anyone have any recommendations? 
The deer are all over my peas, strawberries and sweet potatoes.
My garden is next to my house so the stink factor matters a bit.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Any products you recommend to repel deer?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:49:11 am »
Two fences 4-5 ft apart and 6 ft high.  Netting is the only other option that has any success.  It's a RPITA to put up and it is expensive.  Nothing is really fool proof except a shot gun or bow.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:44:22 pm »
Ace
Nothing is really fool proof except a shot gun or bow.

Add to that a whole bunch of time so the shot gun and bow can be used.  I lost all my fruit from the trees already this year (probly not deer).  Some years are worse then others.

I have tried the pepper sprays (expensive).  Scare crows (last a day or two)  Rotton eggs, hair, and lots of other stuff.  So  far my single 6 foot fence has worked for the deer for the garden (so far knock on wood).

Cheers
gww

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 11:47:03 pm »
Go to barber shop and ask if you can have there cut hair. Or your own after a hair cut and sprinkle in garden.  Keeps them away in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:42:06 am »
blood meal can be effective-also good fences
Neill

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 10:18:55 pm »
So  far my single 6 foot fence has worked for the deer for the garden (so far knock on wood).
Like anything else a fence is a deterrent so if your neighbor has a garden without a fence they will go there.  Deer are not inclined to go between fences so unless starvation is eminent they will really avoid a double fence.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 12:51:57 pm »
Loud dogs and a fence?

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 05:18:23 pm »
30/06 is usually effective... If you happen to catch them in the act.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 08:50:54 pm »
Loud dogs and a fence?
The fence maybe but the dogs don't seem to help much... Maybe it is the breed of dog. Labs are not much help... German Shorthair Pointers maybe if they aren't snuggling in bed all night. The problem is you need a nocturnal dog. I have not found a consistently nocturnal dog and when Gunner has been nocturnal he was roaming the neighborhood doing who knows what rather than chasing deer away from the garden.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 09:32:51 pm »
Eric,
I don't live every day at the farm, just 2-3 days a week, so, I can't really do live animals right now.
I tried this with some success,  https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/prepping-101-tripwire-booby-traps-perimeter-alarms-fire-22-cal-blanks-209-primers-video-review/  .
A 9mm works well around dusk for the varmits, mostly racoons and possum, bought a laser site. 

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:18 am »
Loud dogs and a fence?

Any two dogs between two fence lines and there ain't any deer that will cross the first one.  It usually works for keeping humans out too but one of the dogs must be a guard dog.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 01:28:25 pm »
Put down on the ground  - or more accurately smear low down on territorial markers - what would be present in a fully natural environment.  Big cat pooh is best, if you can source it - but if not, then big cat urine, such as from:  https://predatorpee.com/
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 07:17:17 pm »
LJ, I'm going to give that a try for mice in the basement for sure.

Any thoughts how a big cat scent will affect deer hunting 50 yards away?

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 08:00:26 am »
Regret can't say, as I've zero experience of hunting and, although I knew that deer hunting was a common enough activity in such remote areas as the highlands of Scotland and the exposed moorlands of Exmoor and Dartmoor, until this morning I had no idea hunting took place so much closer to home.
Not too far from my patch (10 miles inland from Boston) is Thetford Forest, where the deer there have gradually become something of a problem.  If you should Google "Thetford Forest deer", you'll read something of what I'm talking about. 

Likewise if you Google "New Forest deer" - where 5 species can be found: fallow, roe, sika, red, and muntjac.  In fact it was while talking with a couple of guys who live near 'The New Forest' (a National Park in southern England - west of Southampton) that I heard about the use of lion pooh to repel deer.  Apparently they source it from a Safari Park, as such parks have far more lions than can be found in any zoo.  They didn't reveal exactly how they obtain it - and I was too polite to ask - so whether it's a daring dash from their vehicle armed with a bucket and spade, or greasing the palm of a game warden - who knows ?  But getting hold of a handful of lion sh#t has to be a whole lot easier than trying to get one to pee in a bucket !

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 03:59:09 pm »
I'm sure a bucket of dirt dug up from the last spot they peed at will work just as well.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beelank

• Brood
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 05:25:24 pm »
Found that interplanting a very aromatic variety of rosemary/basil amongst the deer-favorites has repelled the fiends partially. Experimenting with foxglove, Russian Sage, Yarrow, and Lavender. I?ve noticed that the deer steer clear of my herbal tea/kitchen garden which has plenty of Lavenders, Rosemaries, Basils, and Mints.
I know Daffodils repel them to some extent, but Daffs prevent other competitors from growing near them, so I plant only as a fence border.

Offline Plinsc

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2022, 10:58:21 pm »
 I?m trying a 5? fence with 2 wires above it the top being at 7?, then on the inside of the garden, 4? from the fence, running 6? t-posts in the corners and white clothesline between them.
 I saw it on YouTube from a guy in Colorado who originally used fishing line for his wires. It worked but the sun ate it up eventually and he switched to SS cables.
Doing everything the hard way

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2022, 08:48:03 pm »
I used liquid fence. Once you get them off the same trail. You dont have to use it again until they wander onto your peas again.
Personally it has been 3 years for me.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2022, 07:56:35 am »
I used liquid fence. Once you get them off the same trail. You dont have to use it again until they wander onto your peas again.
Personally it has been 3 years for me.

Thanks for the information Bill. I had not heard of this product.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2022, 07:02:24 am »
I have tried blood meal with good results.  I have not tried it but have heard of using fishing line as a fence.  The deer can't see it and it worries them when they can't see it but they can feel it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything