Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring preparation  (Read 3139 times)

Offline TheFuzz

• House Bee
Spring preparation
« on: July 23, 2019, 11:56:08 pm »
I'd like to know what kind of things you guys are doing to prepare for spring time!

I'm under the impression that, when the bees decide they want to swarm in spring, it's pretty difficult to change their minds in doing so. Around when do they decide whether they want to swarm or not? What can beekeepers do to encourage them to not want to swarm?

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Spring preparation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 12:02:05 am »
I'm from America so its almost fall for us lol. Just make sure they have plenty of space so they don't feel cramped.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Spring preparation
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:23:40 pm »
I'd like to know what kind of things you guys are doing to prepare for spring time!

I'm under the impression that, when the bees decide they want to swarm in spring, it's pretty difficult to change their minds in doing so. Around when do they decide whether they want to swarm or not? What can beekeepers do to encourage them to not want to swarm?

Ahh yes... the year begins, or for beekeepers... continues.

Method aproaches to Spring vary, some greatly so in ranging from "throw a box on, call it done"
right through to "the bees in the trees need new genetics". Anything in between usually
results in robust discussion.
For mine that "prep" began as the first buds opened and shall continue through to the first pails
being stored. Beginning with centralising any brood along with stored food and leaving extents
only with drawn comb. As that work completes and (if) they ramp up the QR (queen restrictor)
goes on ... observation then determines what comes next, another box or more of replacement
stores frames.
Toooo easy.

Cheers...

Bill