Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Felt In A Panic......OH No  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Felt In A Panic......OH No
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 09:58:07 am »
If the nucs have a flow on, there is plenty of honey, and they're not building comb I don't see any indication to feed at all.

I don't care what forum you belong to, what club you belong to, or what bee keeping class you take, a newbie will get pounded with the need to ALWAYS feed a new hive.  Along with the feed, feed, feed, mentality comes the treat, treat, treat mentality.  It is unavoidable.  A newbie doesn't have any experience to make the judgement on when it is good or when it is bad, until it is too late.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 10:03:39 am »
Feeding is about the only way to get a new colony to swarm... and it works most all of the time...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 11:41:10 am »
Feeding is usually a must for a new colony (package bees). You just have to be careful to avoid having them do what others are saying.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 11:56:52 am »
>Feeding is usually a must for a new colony (package bees).

I seldom feed them.  Unless there is some reason for a dearth or there is several days of rain and they have no stores, I do not feed them.  They build up very quickly.  Feeding them clogs the brood nest and slows down their buildup.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 03:30:01 pm »
If the nucs have a flow on, there is plenty of honey, and they're not building comb I don't see any indication to feed at all. Is there a reason you're feeding?

I'm not the best to listen to as I never have to feed here, just curious as to why you're feeding in that situation

I am re-thinking this after reading Michael Bush's comments. I seem to agree though why feed.

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 03:45:37 pm »
>Feeding is usually a must for a new colony (package bees).

I seldom feed them.  Unless there is some reason for a dearth or there is several days of rain and they have no stores, I do not feed them.  They build up very quickly.  Feeding them clogs the brood nest and slows down their buildup.

Well..........needless to say I am really confused now. I installed my packaged bees over 5 weeks ago so I am thinking maybe there not a new colony now? This subject seems to have multiple opinions and very confusing to new beeks! Feed......Don't feed. What I summarize from all this seems to be use common sense! There were times 5 weeks ago that feeding seemed to be needed. It was cold, no flow and the packages were just getting going. Now common sense seems to say why feed? Were at peak flow, the weather is warm, they have built up lots of honey/syrup, pollen, honey is coming in at a fast pace. I think there is a new turn over of young foraging bee and more on there way daily so I can see the argument for not feeding. 

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 03:53:57 pm »
If the nucs have a flow on, there is plenty of honey, and they're not building comb I don't see any indication to feed at all.

I don't care what forum you belong to, what club you belong to, or what bee keeping class you take, a newbie will get pounded with the need to ALWAYS feed a new hive.  Along with the feed, feed, feed, mentality comes the treat, treat, treat mentality.  It is unavoidable.  A newbie doesn't have any experience to make the judgement on when it is good or when it is bad, until it is too late.

Perfectly said! I totally agree!!!!! Let common sense and your gut tell you what should be done.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 06:40:53 pm »
A new colony has less than a full frame of honey. If they have more, they are not new anymore. Feed a new colony, not one that has a 6 month supply on hand.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 10:08:05 am »
With the flow on, I'd probably let them go to nature, if they are strong, to get their food. There's a popular saying in beekeeping; "The only thing that two out of three beekeepers agree on is that the 3rd one is wrong."
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Caribou

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 07:40:18 pm »
Michael, I am a newbee, actually I should be listed here as brood, so when I installed my first packages it was with totally new  equipment.  When you install a new package you have the option of drawn comb and honey.  Does that affect the feed/don't feed decision?

P.S. I saw you in Palmer.  Thanks for making the trip.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgement.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2016, 08:41:44 pm »
I did packages for exactly one year  so take this for what it's worth ... I had people giving me the feed feed feed speech as well but when you see them with two or three frames of uncapped nectar you have to say to yourself "gee that's enough"  and stop feeding... As a new keeper you're most likely doing weekly inspections so if you see them get a little dry you can always feed some more but if you let them backfield the brood  nest with sugar water you are in trouble . There is no formula for beekeeping you sort of have to read everything you can on both sides of the fence and then decide for yourself based on your local conditions and a little bit of commonsense and the bees will take care of the rest...
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2016, 10:41:17 pm »
I did packages for exactly one year  so take this for what it's worth ... I had people giving me the feed feed feed speech as well but when you see them with two or three frames of uncapped nectar you have to say to yourself "gee that's enough"  and stop feeding... As a new keeper you're most likely doing weekly inspections so if you see them get a little dry you can always feed some more but if you let them backfield the brood  nest with sugar water you are in trouble . There is no formula for beekeeping you sort of have to read everything you can on both sides of the fence and then decide for yourself based on your local conditions and a little bit of commonsense and the bees will take care of the rest...

I believe this to be very true!!!!!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 01:10:39 pm »
>Michael, I am a newbee, actually I should be listed here as brood, so when I installed my first packages it was with totally new  equipment.  When you install a new package you have the option of drawn comb and honey.  Does that affect the feed/don't feed decision?

I wouldn't make much of a different decision on feeding.  Of course, if I have drawn comb I would give the package drawn comb...
-------------------

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 08:21:08 pm »

And answers like this is why I came here to learn.... I have learned in my 60 years that when "NEW" to anything the same worries, mistakes, over tending, etc. instincts are the same and these forums allow the ones that have made these mistakes to attempt to steer thos of us "NEW" to this. Fact is fact and sometimes not so pretty, but welcome to this newbee, Thanks to all of you taking the time to hammer info into our sometimes thick skulls  :wink:
Learning to manage without meddling...

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 07:40:58 pm »
My only query is did you find the queen in the main hive and have her separated when you were splitting? If you didn't then I would go to the main hive and check for eggs to make sure the queen survived or you didn't accidently transfer her to one of the nucs. The main hive may have drawn a cell if the queen went missing.
Leave the nucs to do there thing for at least 3 weeks.