Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Recent Outage Update  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Recent Outage Update
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:51 am »
Folks,

Just want to let you all know that everything is fine with Beemaster.com.   The domain name was registered 10 years ago and we had some issues remembering/finding the credential needed to renew.   All has been handled and we are good for another 10 years.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Recent Outage Update
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:56 am »
We had our internet presence handled by a friend who died suddenly.  What a can of worms that was.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:59:57 am »
Yeah!!  Reminded me to donate though   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:11:55 pm »
We had our internet presence handled by a friend who died suddenly.  What a can of worms that was.

I can only imagine.  They would not even let me pay for the renew and leave all settings/ownership the same.  How many can remember their credit card number from 10 years ago :oops:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 01:29:28 pm »
I do not even have the same credit cards that I had last year. Thanks for taking care of it. Thought I was going to have to go through withdraw.  :smile:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 01:57:36 pm »
Credit card shees.  I didn't know who the registrar and host were.  Then after finding that out ... user name and passwords???  We were doomed.  Quite the learning curve for me not having done of any this nonsense before.
I am wondering why the registrar or host didn't give you any email notice before pulling cork.  Maybe you had an outdated email attached to the account?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 06:37:04 pm »
Hi Everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to all you folks here in the states.

This was trying for Rob and me, we both were having "hair pulling" efforts to meet the registrar's minimal requirements to just OPEN our account on the screen - both failing until Rob painstakingly found the credit card number in a PM sent a decade ago. Bravo to Rob.

Once we had that, I was able to have them bring up the account and make payment to keep the domain name alive and well for another decade. I can only pray to be around for the next renewal, decades go by pretty fast and last time I looked, I wasn't 35 anymore - ugh.

* Kathy, I see I don't have to remind you to contribute - thank you so much again for your kind donation.

I'm pretty sure folks that within 2 days Beemaster.com would have been on the auction shelf - it was close. I can't imagine having to bid on our domain. Thanks to Rob for being on top of this and we both have all the updated information needed to access the account whenever needed. It wasn't like that ask you security questions like: what was the name of your first pet, or in what city you got married - asking for a credit card from a decade ago or what 4 digit pin did you use (and they state you have 3 tries) or the account is locked.

So the storm has passed. A Xanax or two and all is better.

Thank everyone who has supported financially and with participating in our forum. Technology has made it simpler to use Facebook where we also have nearly 10,000 member ( Beemaster's International Beekeeping Forum ) but comparing the two is apples and oranges: our forum is a heavily community based platform, something that really lacks in the FB group.And the forum is always home to so many people.

And, by making needed changes today to the domain name registration, the forum is locked into a long and bright future. I have said the day the forum started, this site will:

* ALWAYS be advertisement free
* ALWAYS be Family Friendly, and
* ALWAYS be member sponsored

This has worked because of our core beliefs and simple bylaws - which boil down to "Be Kind and Respect Each Other"

Happy Thanksgiving

John
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 11:03:53 am »
Is there an address where I can send a check?

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 01:40:11 pm »
Thanks for all your efforts, guys! :smile:
Neill

anything