Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Request For Information From Experienced Beeswax Chunk Candle Makers  (Read 1201 times)

Offline JackInCT

• New Bee
Hi, I would like to turn my beeswax candle making efforts to the chunk wax variety.

I’d appreciate some information from an experienced candle maker re 3 likely issues, (1) the beeswax tendency to contract, and create voids as it cools.  Is this going to be a bigger problem area with chunk wax candles (compared to pillar and container type)?  If it will be, any ideas to counteract it would be great, to include whether a 2nd repour will cause more problems than it solves, (2) Is there a need to use a release agent on the mold for this type of candle, & (3) the use of cookie cutter made designs for placement against the exterior wall with a square sided mold: it appears that the cutouts are typically held in place by filling in the mold with as many chunks as it takes to fill up the mold; if I didn’t want to use chunks to fill in the mold (so that I could fill in the mold with a high contrast color from the color of the cutout), is there some other way of holding the cutout against the wall of the mold?

Thank you for any and all help.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Request For Information From Experienced Beeswax Chunk Candle Makers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:28:34 pm »
Are you spraying your molds with non stick oil (pam)?

Offline JackInCT

• New Bee
Re: Request For Information From Experienced Beeswax Chunk Candle Makers
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:10:03 pm »
Hi, I actually am using a graphite silicon spray that I have around to use to lubricate the door channels and rollers on my overhead garage door (it's petroleum based); not real sure that it's safe to use re inflammable issues.