Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to keep the sparrows from eating my bees?  (Read 7030 times)

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
Re: How to keep the sparrows from eating my bees?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 07:01:03 pm »
A good hungry Tom Cat can usually discourage small birds from getting to close to the ground.  :wink:

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 07:46:24 pm »
A good hungry Tom Cat can usually discourage small birds from getting to close to the ground.  :wink:

Excellent because we have too many birds and not enough cats around.  But if you know anything about cats its the females that do most of the hunting. 

Why don't beekeepers worry about things that actually impact their bees?
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 09:06:28 pm »
Bob tail cats are the best kind. Cut their tails off approx. 1 inch behind their ears.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 10:19:01 am »
>So you are telling me the latest research on queen laying capabilities was done 136 years ago?

I don't know, but Dzierzon was a careful scientist.  For some reason people have seldom readdressed what Jan Dzierzon and Francis Huber did.  They were both consummate scientists who always carefully distinguished between what they had observed and what they speculated.  Many of the things both talked about have just been ignored and I don't know why.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 01:26:56 pm »
My only concern about birds preying on live bees would be virgins on mating flights.

Yep.  That definitely has crossed my mind.

I just ordered this.  Curious to see how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXPF32J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I wonder if hanging old CD's on a string would also work. . . . gotta be some recycle/reuse  use for those things.

That is a GREAT idea!

And by the way, the reflective "scare tape" is actually working!  Just saw once brazen bird give it a try but that's it.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 07:20:11 am »
Latest research LOL,

I think they were trying to convey that that bit of knowledge was easy enough to figure out (simple math), and it has been known for a heck of a long time.

anything