Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: National Anthem  (Read 13463 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: National Anthem
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 04:42:08 pm »
""Sorry to be a nit-picker, but it is distracting to me when an otherwise beautiful presentation is marred by such things.  Before I went to law school, I speant 20 years as a journalist, most of the time as a copy editor, and errors like these just cause me to stop short in reading or listening.""

What does "speant" mean?   :wink: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 06:07:49 pm »
Philip

That is an excellent video.  Thanks for posting that.  I just wish the person making it had had a good editor.  I may have heard wrong but I heard the narrator refer numerous times to Fort Henry instead of Fort McHenry.  And there were several things in the on-screen captioning that bothered me, such as "...so proudly we held" instead of "proudly we hailed."

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but it is distracting to me when an otherwise beautiful presentation is marred by such things.  Before I went to law school, I speant 20 years as a journalist, most of the time as a copy editor, and errors like these just cause me to stop short in reading or listening. 

Just call me an old curmudgeon if you want.  That's the way I am, I guess.  If there's a nit in sight, I can't resist picking it. LOL

In law, grammar certainly matters! I fully understand.  "so proudly we held" instead of "proudly we hailed." Prehaps her accent could be the difference? 
 :grin:
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline John_M

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 06:10:27 pm »
We aren't the only ones.  Try this one;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_qm3Ym8-k

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 06:24:57 pm »
I do not know what the words are saying but that girl is a bad to the bone pole vaulter...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline John_M

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 06:31:36 pm »
She's pretty special!  The words to the russian national anthem are pretty neat, they kept the same music as the Soviet anthem but the words are new.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 06:45:07 pm »
""Sorry to be a nit-picker, but it is distracting to me when an otherwise beautiful presentation is marred by such things.  Before I went to law school, I speant 20 years as a journalist, most of the time as a copy editor, and errors like these just cause me to stop short in reading or listening.""

What does "speant" mean?   :wink: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Iddee, I read that over twice before posting it, and missed the typo both times.  I was a good editor when dealing with other people?s writing, but always had to have my own work edited by someone else.  When I read what I?ve just written, I tend to see what I intended to write, rather than what I actually wrote.  If I put it aside for a time and then go back to it, errors I made become obvious. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2019, 07:02:20 pm »
Philip

That is an excellent video.  Thanks for posting that.  I just wish the person making it had had a good editor.  I may have heard wrong but I heard the narrator refer numerous times to Fort Henry instead of Fort McHenry.  And there were several things in the on-screen captioning that bothered me, such as "...so proudly we held" instead of "proudly we hailed."

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but it is distracting to me when an otherwise beautiful presentation is marred by such things.  Before I went to law school, I speant 20 years as a journalist, most of the time as a copy editor, and errors like these just cause me to stop short in reading or listening. 

Just call me an old curmudgeon if you want.  That's the way I am, I guess.  If there's a nit in sight, I can't resist picking it. LOL

In law, grammar certainly matters! I fully understand.  "so proudly we held" instead of "proudly we hailed." Prehaps her accent could be the difference? 
 :grin:
Phillip

Nah, I think they had spell-check or something involved.  But I see your spell-check let ?prehaps? go through.  Mine just changed it twice to perhaps before I finally convinced it I really meant to type what you wrote.   :tongue:
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2019, 08:15:17 pm »
Just had to poke a little fun, Dallas.  We all make mistrakes.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 01:06:23 pm »
When I read what I?ve just written, I tend to see what I intended to write, rather than what I actually wrote.

I do exactly the same thing.  I re-read for errors and still miss them.  Two days later, there they are!   :cheesy:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 01:49:11 pm »
Same here. It is easy to see errors in what others wrote. I skip right over my own.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline John_M

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2019, 03:17:06 pm »
I had a standing rule in the office I used to manage that all correspondance was proof read by someone else for this very reason.
Of course the owner would sabotage us by insisting on a letter being typed 15 minutes before the last mail pickup.  He was also the one that expected that no one ever make a mistake.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 04:27:33 pm »
?You can never correct your work well until you have forgotten
it.??Voltaire
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything