Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1917  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« on: February 03, 2020, 12:50:05 pm »
Didn't even know we had a movie section  :grin:

I don't go often to the theater, but since my granddaughter is working in one and can sign in a guest, hubby and I went to see 1917.

We really liked it.  It's worth watching on a big screen, so I can recommend coughing up the dollars for this one.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: 1917
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 12:58:21 pm »
Didn't even know we had a movie section  :grin:

I don't go often to the theater, but since my granddaughter is working in one and can sign in a guest, hubby and I went to see 1917.

We really liked it.  It's worth watching on a big screen, so I can recommend coughing up the dollars for this one.

I did not know about a movie section either lol . When I saw where others were posting here, I added my little 2 cents worth about my favorite movie Joseph. Thanks for the recommendation of 1917 Kathy
Phillip

Let me add, I can not tell you the last time we went to see a movie.  "Facing the Giants" was awesome! It seems Hollywood has left me behind. lol . However since you recommend 1917  we may check it out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:25:05 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:52:41 pm »
Nice to know that movie was good.  My one sister LOVES Benedict Cumberbatch, so we would definitely be watching that eventually regardless of how good it was.   :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:00 pm »
I like Cumberbatch as well, thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 12:18:48 pm »
I like Cumberbatch as well,

I like him too, but don't be disappointed that his part in this movie is not big. It's a good part.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 01:05:31 pm »
I like him too, but don't be disappointed that his part in this movie is not big. It's a good part.
I figured his part would be small, but my sister won't care, so long as he's there.   :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 01:56:20 pm »
I didn't know about the movies either.  I thought it was OK.  It is more historic with the Hollywood flair.  My wife says we will never fight a war like that again.  Way too much loss of life for no reason.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 02:02:23 pm »
I didn't know about the movies either.  I thought it was OK.  It is more historic with the Hollywood flair.  My wife says we will never fight a war like that again.  Way too much loss of life for no reason.

I hope your wife is right Ace.  But the Holy Bible does tell of the battle of armageddon which is to come. Goodness
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 04:34:27 pm »
My wife says we will never fight a war like that again.  Way too much loss of life for no reason.

We won't for a lot of reasons.  Chief among them is technology.  There wasn't a heck of a lot of difference between the way ww1 was fought and the way the civil war was fought.  A big leap happened between then and ww2, and we are now well on our way to mechanized warfare taking over boots on the ground.

Desert Storm was live fed to the people.  That was new.  It makes a difference when people see war as it happens.  Our attitudes toward war have changed. Our attitude toward death has changed.   Much of the attitude of the world toward the expansion of empires has changed. 

We do have some potentially big problems on the horizon.  China has the biggest military in the world and plenty of population to feed into it.  They are behaving in expansionist ways including building islands so that they can claim control of more ocean space.  It is a huge expense and endeavor, so probably not being done without a plan.  Russia has expansionist goals.  Putin would like to reconstitute the glory days of the USSR.  The two countries have had joint military exercises. 
Both countries have nukes and both support crazy nuclear surrogates.  Oops, sorry.  We didn't know the NorKs were going to do that!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 12:23:23 pm »
My wife says we will never fight a war like that again.  Way too much loss of life for no reason.

We won't for a lot of reasons.  Chief among them is technology.  There wasn't a heck of a lot of difference between the way ww1 was fought and the way the civil war was fought.  A big leap happened between then and ww2, and we are now well on our way to mechanized warfare taking over boots on the ground.

Desert Storm was live fed to the people.  That was new.  It makes a difference when people see war as it happens.  Our attitudes toward war have changed. Our attitude toward death has changed.   Much of the attitude of the world toward the expansion of empires has changed. 

We do have some potentially big problems on the horizon.  China has the biggest military in the world and plenty of population to feed into it.  They are behaving in expansionist ways including building islands so that they can claim control of more ocean space.  It is a huge expense and endeavor, so probably not being done without a plan.  Russia has expansionist goals.  Putin would like to reconstitute the glory days of the USSR.  The two countries have had joint military exercises. 
Both countries have nukes and both support crazy nuclear surrogates.  Oops, sorry.  We didn't know the NorKs were going to do that!

I agree with those points considering Technology. Let?s think about this for a minute. Back when Ronald Reagan was president he came up with a plan and aimed toward a goal that would knock out our enemies satellites.  Hypothetical question, Almost all of our technology is dependent on satellite communication is this correct? President Trump is taking this much further by actually creating another division of our Armed Forces strictly focused on space I think this is correct also? I believe he is calling it space force?  Now keeping this in line with movies, I am thinking in (Terminator) the satellite system was called skynet?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:38:54 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 01:17:40 pm »
President Trump is taking this much further by actually creating another division of our Armed Forces strictly focused on space I think this is correct also? I believe he is calling it space force?  Now keeping this in line with movies, I am thinking in (Terminator) the satellite system was called skynet?

The most interesting thing about the formation of the Space Force is noting who did not protest it.
  The new force is not just about protecting war-making tech though.  The new frontiers for exploration and commerce are going to be in space.  Just as our sea Navy protects things like shipping lanes, our space navy will do the same.

There is a downside to tech and that is that we become dependant on it.  We design all our stuff and planning around it.  We also know that we have done this and so we try to make systems hardened, redundant, and think about ways carry on even if the tech fails.  We won't know if we have done a good job until something happens.

And if something happens, it won't matter because 1/2 the population will die anyway when they find out they can't access Facebook and Twitter  :cheesy:
The other 1/2 will die on old forest tracks and logging roads because the GPS has failed and they can't read a map.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 01:27:53 pm »
Lol that was true and funny!  I like it... But back to my question. If these satellites were knocked out, including ours,  would this stagnate our modern fighting Capabilities? Almost bringing our offensive and defensive capabilities to a screeching halt?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 02:29:49 pm »
Let me add, if these questions are accurate, and such a tragic thing was to occur. World war would be a quick and sure possibly?  Would that not set up the possibility of just a war described in The Book of Revelations? 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 05:34:50 pm »
But back to my question. If these satellites were knocked out, including ours,  would this stagnate our modern fighting Capabilities? Almost bringing our offensive and defensive capabilities to a screeching halt?

Let me add, if these questions are accurate, and such a tragic thing was to occur. World war would be a quick and sure possibly?  Would that not set up the possibility of just a war described in The Book of Revelations?

Yes, but we would also knock out others satellites and that would level the playing field. Of course, an EMP or even large solar flare would do ours and theirs.   We have and are still working on hardening our stuff against that, but there are other things like laser weapons that could surgically take them out. 

Anything could lead to the war in Revelation.  One of the things to remember is that the US has no place in biblical prophecy.  In order for us not to interfere in any of that, we would need to be disabled first. 
I don't think though that anyone would be forced to revert to war on horseback, so the blood to the horses bridals might not happen  :wink:

The seventh seal, Ezekiel 39, and Zechariah 14 could certainly be interpreted as nuclear war, and we don't know where the US might be then. 

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 07:09:44 pm »
....  One of the things to remember is that the US has no place in biblical prophecy.  ...

I'd have to politely disagree with that statement. I grew up studing the USA and it's role in history & and the end times, as heavily prophesied in the Bible. The USA is widely covered throughout Biblical Prophecy, and plays a major roll.

I don't have all my notes in front of me. But here's some links on the subject:

https://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/study-guide/e/4998/t/the-usa-in-bible-prophecy

https://stevenmcollins.com/articles/usa-in-prophecy/

Here's 1 of many books on the subject:
https://www.amazon.com/AMERICA-Prophecy-G-White/dp/0916547043

Now here's what's interesting to me - when I just searched for those links, I discovered that there is a very large amount of information stating that the USA is Not in prophecy - I didn't know that till now.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 07:25:34 pm »
But back to my question. If these satellites were knocked out, including ours,  would this stagnate our modern fighting Capabilities? Almost bringing our offensive and defensive capabilities to a screeching halt?

Yes, but we would also knock out others satellites and that would level the playing field. Of course, an EMP or even large solar flare would do ours and theirs.   We have and are still working on hardening our stuff against that, but there are other things like laser weapons that could surgically take them out. 

Anything could lead to the war in Revelation.  One of the things to remember is that the US has no place in biblical prophecy.  In order for us not to interfere in any of that, we would need to be disabled first. 
I don't think though that anyone would be forced to revert to war on horseback, so the blood to the horses bridals might not happen  :wink:

The seventh seal, Ezekiel 39, and Zechariah 14 could certainly be interpreted as nuclear war, and we don't know where the US might be then.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us Kathy. Let me agree that many say that the US has no place in biblical prophecy. This may or may not be accurate. Let us take a closer look at things that we do know. The bible does speak of the (Great Babylon) in Revelations biblical (prophecy).
Let put that to the side for a moment and concentrate of the old babylon of biblical (history). Let's look at the FIRST babylon in biblical history. We know from the Holy recordings that the babylon of that day were of one language, I would suppose one race? I do not know (there is much I do not know) lol .  These folks decided to build a tower up unto heaven to God. Now we know that could not be done but the educated people of that day did not know this. So at it they went. God knew they these silly folks could not reach him. What did he do? He caused a confusion to come upon them that they could no longer speak the same language, many different languages were come formed by this by divine intervention. The building party was broken up so to speak because of this lack of communication, and the folks that each spoke languages they could understand formed their own grou[s and went their separate ways.  Maybe all over the world basically forming the races and nations we have now? (again something I do not know).  If you are a believer Kathy or even if you are not, does this sound about right so far according to biblical history?   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 07:27:42 pm »
Alan I apologize I was not trying to interpret your train of thought. You posted as I was preparing to post. I will step back as you two finish your discussion and I will hold my train of thought in the meantime. lol
Phillip

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 07:34:31 pm »
Now here's what's interesting to me - when I just searched for those links, I discovered that there is a very large amount of information stating that the USA is Not in prophecy - I didn't know that till now.

let me try to clarify what I said:  It's not that what the US might do or not do has no impact on prophecy.  In a connected world that's not possible.  However, if you just read the words of the bible there is no place in there for US participation in final prophecy (seal, trumpet and bowl prophecy in Revelation.) 
The only way that happens is if the US is somehow taken out of the picture.  Something Iran realizes as it interprets Islamic eschatology.

Depending on how you read Biblical prophecy, you can read at least 2 attacks that sound very much like nuclear attacks.  One attack is for sure directed at Isreal but an attack on Israel alone would not do enough damage to fulfill prophecy. 

I hope we are not boring everyone to death with this   :grin:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 07:36:50 pm »
Alan I apologize I was not trying to interpret your train of thought. You posted as I was preparing to post. I will step back as you two finish your discussion and I will hold my train of thought in the meantime. lol

I'm good with it.  Carry on!  We have strayed from the subject of the OP, but since I am the OP, it's fine   :cool:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 07:51:05 pm »
No worries. Both of you are fine by me.  :grin:

All I can say was my studies of Bible Prophecy lead me to a different answer. It's all good.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

anything