Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Automatic Hive" as used by Oscar Perone in Argentina  (Read 18094 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
Re: "Automatic Hive" as used by Oscar Perone in Argentina
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 01:52:57 pm »
I think I saw a video or movie on Oscar Perone...I believe he has a lot of Africanized Honeybees and this type of hive...leaving it alone ...and taking honey once a year is probably best. I think he takes it at night. But I sure do like the idea of never entering the brood chamber, and leaving them their own honey supply. But I am a Newbie...so what do I know.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 11:13:57 pm »
I have to haul off a bunch of old tires. Or does some one want to help me design a rotating hive? :roll:  ;) :) d2

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 11:25:49 pm »
I have to haul off a bunch of old tires. Or does some one want to help me design a rotating hive? :roll:  ;) :) d2

Packim and stackim. they make for a great wall for a three side storage shelter for you boxes.

John

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 01:10:11 am »
with what and how do you pack-em?  :)d2

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:54 pm »
with what and how do you pack-em?  :)d2

lay a line  of tires in the shape of the three walls you want. fill with dirt. pack the tires will wetting. then stack another set of tires offset of the one below it. pack it with dirt then reapeat to the height you  want the walls. then mix some mud and fill in the holes and then you have a packed and stacked wall of tires on three sides.  :laugh:

John

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 08:04:50 pm »
Derekm,

You must be itchn' for an argument, if you did not sense the sarcasm in BjornBee's reply.  his comments had so much dry humor and sarcastic tone I rolled my eyes and chuckled.  Only to eye roll and laugh more when you called him out on not applying the universal rules of science. 

" I hope your comment on not challenging others and embracing every variety of snake oil was being ironic or even better a wind up"
me thinks you got your hope.  ;)

You said: "if works use it?   The ends justify the means? - child labour works, so does fear and terror.  Is stressing bees into producing large amounts of honey ethically sound?"

I hope YOUR comment comparing child labor (read forced child labor) and "fear and terror" (Terrorism?) to experimental bee keeping techniques was also "being ironic or even better a wind up."  :?

The fact is if it works, that is reason to investigate why it works.  That is the scientific model.  If we already know exactly what is best, not much reason to use science.  In the end I agree with the bottom line of BjornBee sarcastic statement.  Others, go ahead and try it, I would be interested to hear your experience, but I'm not willing to: 1) let my girls swarm in hopes i can lure or find the swarm to put into a new hive, or 2) hive bees in a place I can not inspect for disease which may threaten my other hives, or hives of my neighbors.