Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Camp cooker/ fire pit from an old gas bottle.  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Camp cooker/ fire pit from an old gas bottle.
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2023, 08:33:22 pm »
Had just enough time to attempts half an hours work on the cooker before heading off to Canberra for the day. Three pieces of re-bar were cut as stub legs and drilled to hold R clips. They were then welded in place. Slip on legs will be cut tomorrow and drilled for the clips.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2023, 06:41:04 pm »
Legs were cut this morning and fitted. The R pins allow the stove to be moved so that legs will not fall off. A damper was then constructed from part of the top cowling. It was bent to shape using the vice and anvil. I will finish it later today and then move onto cutting and shaping the damper handle.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2023, 08:58:24 pm »
Legs were cut this morning and fitted. The R pins allow the stove to be moved so that legs will not fall off. A damper was then constructed from part of the top cowling. It was bent to shape using the vice and anvil. I will finish it later today and then move onto cutting and shaping the damper handle.

👍🏻
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2023, 05:45:52 am »
A few more bits were added to the damper throughout the day. A handle was forged with a hook so that I could use it to lift hot grates etc from the stove. A tapered locating plate was also welded in place to allow for easy installation of the handle. On the inside of the stove a piece of rod was welded to the locating bolt to act as an ash sweeper as the damper is open and closed. A couple of nuts were also welded to the base of the stove to limit the opening and closing of the damper. I have an idea for a heat dissipating hand grip which will be added to the handle tomorrow.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2023, 05:37:48 pm »
The handle grip was made from a piece of fencing wire bent round a former. I used the lathe to hold some 20mm rod and shaped the wire around the former by rotating the chuck by hand. The ends of the wire were then shaped and fitted into drilled holes. Brazing the wire into the holes secured everything into place. A simple ash can will be attached to the underside of the cooker later today.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2023, 08:12:20 pm »
Just finished the last two components of the stove. An old stainless container was fitted under the damper to pick up any minor ash falls that come through the damper opening. Hooks were made so that the container could be removed quickly when full. Two pins and some mesh were cut to fit on top of the cooker. When the day warms up, the stove will be painted with pot belly black paint. I know much of it will peel under the intense heat but it does finish the project. Will post a final photo in a few days when the pain is dry.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2023, 08:14:34 pm »
Nice set up Les.... Thanks!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2023, 07:42:35 pm »
Here?s the final stove. I may add a couple of hooks to hold tongs, etc on the curved section of the R clips. I will leave the paint to cure for a couple of weeks and then it will be given its first run.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2023, 08:16:10 pm »
Les,
Great job. I?m sure it will work out real well.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything