Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: They did NOT swarm  (Read 758 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
They did NOT swarm
« on: May 25, 2023, 05:08:50 pm »
Not question here; just an observation.  But comments welcome.

I was lucky this year beacause I caught them in time. I "opened the brood" nests in all the colonies - The technique that Michael Bush describes in detail in his online book -  and had no swarm issue. Then I went in a checkerboarded the honey supers. Then an interesting thing happened that I hadn?t ever seen before - and it was easier to see because I have all my colonies in my back yard on concrete.  They were dumping out thousands of drones all over the ground. Just didn?t need them anymore, I guess.

I also pulled out many - not all - of the drone combs from all the colonies. Wasn?t sure if this helped anything though.

*The post has been modified to give much deserved credit to Michael Bush.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:06:09 pm by 2Sox »
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: They did NOT swarm
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 07:02:52 pm »
I have had several colonies dump their drones this spring at different times.  Sometimes it's adults, sometimes it's pulled pupae, sometimes both.  I'm not sure if my swarming or non-swarming colonies were the ones who were doing it. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 12:46:42 am »
Did y'all happen to check these drone larva or pupa for signs of mites?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 02:12:23 pm »
Did y'all happen to check these drone larva or pupa for signs of mites?

Phillip
Not specifically, although I did look the one pile over just to be sure everything seemed normal with the drones and it did.  I didn't see any mites, deformed wings, etc., although all I did was a cursory visual inspection.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 06:20:54 pm »
The15thMember
sometimes it's pulled pupae

The pulled pupae would be my interest. Does anyone here know if Varro Destructor will leave pulled pupae once that pupae has been pulled?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 07:05:02 am »
The number of drones tolerated is directly proportional to the resources coming in.  When nothing is coming in, they eject drones.  You probably just finished your flow and hit a dearth.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything