Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey being sold  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Honey being sold
« on: April 14, 2023, 04:33:50 pm »
I always enjoy checking out honey being sold in various places.
This chocolate flavored honey was on the shelf in one of the crafty stores in Warm Springs, Ga. $20 for 12oz.
The comb honey is $20 fo 6oz.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Honey being sold
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 04:42:08 pm »
I also found some Bob Binnie honey sold at Krogers in Warner Robbins, Ga. Krogers is billing it as "local" on the shelf tag. When I think local bees, I am thinking my own or a nearby county, not 200 miles distant. But if most honey sold on shelves originates outside the US, then I suppose it actually is local in some sense.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 04:58:17 pm »
I always enjoy checking out honey being sold in various places.
This chocolate flavored honey was on the shelf in one of the crafty stores in Warm Springs, Ga. $20 for 12oz.
The comb honey is $20 fo 6oz.
I was at an Ingles in Franklin, NC yesterday and saw some of that chocolate creamed honey, but from a different company.  Was the first time I'd ever seen it.

I also found some Bob Binnie honey sold at Krogers in Warner Robbins, Ga. Krogers is billing it as "local" on the shelf tag. When I think local bees, I am thinking my own or a nearby county, not 200 miles distant. But if most honey sold on shelves originates outside the US, then I suppose it actually is local in some sense.
I obviously agree that the local-er the better, but Bob Binnie has bee yards all over Western NC and northern GA, even though he is apparently HQed in Lakemont.  His honey is in my local grocery stores too, and in my opinion, that's local enough to be labeled as such.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 09:57:17 pm »
Bob,
I would consider it local.
Remember, the pollen that is in the local honey that helps with allergies is not the pollen from the flowers that the bees visit, it is the pollen that collects on the bees as the they fly through the air. We?re talking about pine, oak and rag weed. Most of these types of trees of a given species are generally found in a large area covering hundreds of miles. Thus local is a large area.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 12:05:52 am »
Bob I see what you are saying as local would mean 'local'. But when it comes to honey I think Jim and Reagan are on the money. I would like to add that zoning may also play a part in what is considered local; From where or what source nectar and pollen are gathered from. As an example Reagan and I are hundred of miles apart but our grow zones are related as my zone is zone 7, which may lead to us finding the same sort of plants in each of our local areas if her zone is also zone 7?

PS. I could be wrong in this hypothesis? If so, I would hope to be corrected by someone here for your sake of gained knowledge 'as well as mine'!  lol  :grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 06:49:29 am »
We?re talking about pine, oak and rag weed.
But the pine, oak, and rag weed are not the same from FL to NY.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 05:11:12 pm »
Ace,
See hence the below statement that I posted:
Most of these types of trees of a given species are generally found in a large area covering hundreds of miles.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 06:15:50 pm »
Interesting. I always thought local meant the pollen and plants in a small area around me.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 07:47:56 pm »
The term ?local? is a sales pitch term used by many beekeepers. As to what it means is open to interpretation. Each consumer probably has a preconceived picture in their mind as to what it means. This may differ considerably to the beekeepers use of that word. At yesterdays markets, many people asked whether my honey was local. My reply was always the same. ?My beehives are located 4km from here? people then made their own mind up.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 07:55:52 pm »
Les,
When customers ask about being local I explain what that means as far as the honey and the pollen that is in it. Then they usually buy my honey.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 09:19:11 pm »
Interesting. I always thought local meant the pollen and plants in a small area around me.

That is what I use to think too Bob and in my way of thinking that is what local should mean; (A small area around me). Mr Webster might agree as well. But. . .
 :shocked: :grin:

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 10:03:28 pm »
That is the best way Jim. Many areas have similar vegetation types growing for hundreds of miles in every direction. Other areas can have a huge change in a small distance. In my small micro climate, I have flood plains, salt water swamp, coastal fore dunes, hilly country and ridge tops all within flying distance of the hives. This produces a particular blend of pollens and nectars that the bees bring in. 20 minutes to the west of me, the elevation changes by 2000 feet and the floral types change completely. The term ?local? therefore has a slightly different meaning in that situation.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 11:11:23 pm »
That is the best way Jim. Many areas have similar vegetation types growing for hundreds of miles in every direction. Other areas can have a huge change in a small distance. In my small micro climate, I have flood plains, salt water swamp, coastal fore dunes, hilly country and ridge tops all within flying distance of the hives. This produces a particular blend of pollens and nectars that the bees bring in. 20 minutes to the west of me, the elevation changes by 2000 feet and the floral types change completely. The term ?local? therefore has a slightly different meaning in that situation.

Good points Les.. Well taken..

Phillip