Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Springtime: What to do with that full bottom box of pollen?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Springtime: What to do with that full bottom box of pollen?
« on: February 12, 2023, 02:01:03 pm »
Hi All,

Just anticipating springtime here in NYC, and checking to see what you all think of what I usually do for the bees regarding my question - and what suggestions you have if you do things differently.

First some background:

I only use mediums.  I don?t ever use excluders.  I leave the bees with as many boxes as they want going into winter.

Presently, I have seven live colonies. 2 have six boxes, 5 have five boxes.

In the spring, I take that bottom box full of pollen and distribute it among the other boxes - in that particular colony. Then I put an empty box on the bottom with foundation and/or drawn comb if I have it. 

I try to take out a few frames of honey and pollen and emptys from each colony for swarm calls and cutout jobs. In season, I get at least one swarm call a week, on average, and at least 5 cutout calls each season. Usually more.

What say you?
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Springtime: What to do with that full bottom box of pollen?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 04:22:40 pm »
I run the same setup as you, except I winter my colonies in 2 boxes.  I do have one colony that is in 3 boxes right now, since they were acting very congested, so I slapped another box on them last week.  I usually just leave pollen wherever they have put it, and I will reverse my boxes if the bottom box is empty at the first inspection, as my bees seem to ignore an empty box underneath if I just let it go. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 08:04:40 am »
I just leave the pollen.  Usually they burn it up in the spring buildup and if they don't, they burn it up in a dearth.  It's never been a problem for me.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 09:05:55 am »
Thanks for your reply, gents.

Michael, I leave the pollen too. I just redistribute it to the boxes above so I don?t have a box full of pollen on the bottom.  And if there is plenty, I take a few frames to start off my swarms and any cutout colonies - IF they may need it. But cutouts usually have enough of their own.  Usually one or two pollen frames from each one of my colonies is more than enough to take for that purpose.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 09:09:02 am »
The bottom box is where they store it.  Why don't you want it on the bottom?  Sure you can redistribute it to those in need of it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 11:18:44 am »
The bottom box is where they store it.  Why don't you want it on the bottom?  Sure you can redistribute it to those in need of it.

Good question and good point. Not sure. I guess I wanted to economize space.  What do you do?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 12:06:04 pm »
I only rearrange things when I am trying to consolidate space (compress the hive) and that is usually because there is excess space.  Then I might rearrange things, but I probably would still tend to leave the pollen in the bottom.  I think it's a perfect place for it going into winter.  It gets used in late winter to rear brood before there is any pollen coming in.  Walt Wright wrote an article on "the pollen box maneuver".
-------------------

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 12:59:09 pm »
I only rearrange things when I am trying to consolidate space (compress the hive) and that is usually because there is excess space.  Then I might rearrange things, but I probably would still tend to leave the pollen in the bottom.  I think it's a perfect place for it going into winter.  It gets used in late winter to rear brood before there is any pollen coming in.  Walt Wright wrote an article on "the pollen box maneuver".

Yes, that was the purpose I had when I posted - compressing the colony that has too much space.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 06:15:12 am »
Does "too much space" in this context mean that they've made a tall chimney nest inside a cavity that is too wide?

I consolidate too (I force them into single deep brood nest) but I am often suspicious of my own better ideas.

Edit to answer your original q. When I am cramping them down for whatever reason (usually making splits) I would put the brood combs in the middle, pollen combs on either side, honey combs at the outer most positions. I "think" that the bees eating pollen are nurse bees tending brood so I "imagine" it to be "efficient " if it's placed close to them. All this thinking and imagining neglects that I have no blessed idea how bees actually redistribute their own resources, or what "efficiency " in a super organism would even entail.

anything