Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Successful Overwinter  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
First Successful Overwinter
« on: February 11, 2023, 01:48:31 pm »
They made it! It only took two winters of failure and learning and I finally got them to survive. Maybe it's the milder California winter or I did something different. Either way I'm happy they made it and they're already packed with brood. I'd show pictures of the brood but the file size is too big
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: First Successful Overwinter
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 01:55:42 pm »
Congratulations, Donovan!  That's awesome!  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 02:46:17 pm »
You have come a long way in the past year. With a transition from mean bees, to a bear attack and loosing your good queen; you have successfully made it through the winter in spite of it all. Congratulations to you!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 03:53:50 pm »
You have come a long way in the past year. With a transition from mean bees, to a bear attack and loosing your good queen; you have successfully made it through the winter in spite of it all. Congratulations to you!

Phillip
Thank you! I don't wanna take all lthe credit because these bees are resilient. Will definitely propagate this hive this year

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 09:05:31 pm »
Very nice!
However, you have cold temps there in Meadow Vista. Be careful not to keep frames out to long, taking pics of that beautiful queen, or the brood will get chilled.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 02:46:58 am »
Very nice!
However, you have cold temps there in Meadow Vista. Be careful not to keep frames out to long, taking pics of that beautiful queen, or the brood will get chilled.
I made sure to make it snappy and only checked the top box but it was around 62? that day