Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wintering bees inside in minnesota  (Read 1311 times)

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
wintering bees inside in minnesota
« on: January 15, 2023, 04:50:32 pm »
My bees were supposed to go to California but didnt get picked up so today I checked and one is still alive. I am going to take it up to the old trailer house and try to keep it for the winter. Wish me luck. I am sure if it makes it for the next 2 months it will be pure luck. Anybody else keeping bees by putting them in a building? I see a canadian beekeepers blog where one guy keeps 1500 inside for the winter.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: wintering bees inside in minnesota
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 07:42:10 pm »
I saw an a website somewhere, they are using old chicken houses to keep bees in to over winter them. Climate controlled of course. Can not remember what state, somewhere in the north west.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 12:03:16 am »
I have seen and heard Ian Stephler explaining there is so much humidity built up in his winter bee building that he has an exhaust fan set up to keep things in balance. He has Winter indoor Beekeeping down to an art.

I TheHoneyPump has it figured out just as well... He posted some 'good' pictures a few years ago of 'he and his' loading bees into their cozy winter bee building. Check it out in the search engine.

Phillip
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:26:58 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 08:05:25 am »
It is a tricky proposition to winter bees indoor.  It can be done and the results can be good or if not done right, the results can be disastrous.  If you really want to do it, study people like Ian who are succeeding at it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 12:56:09 pm »
Yes Michael I have watched his blog and have learned a lot. I have a 14x70 trailer on my place which I plan to set hives in come spring that could stay there next winter. I would even like to see your place and bees. N
May have to catch a day and come see you.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 08:48:08 am »
I keep thinking about trying it, but what I really need here, in Nebraska, is a refrigerated truck trailer so I can keep them inactive on the warm days.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 02:38:26 pm »
Michael, figure that might be a bit spendy. But maybe just a low shed that the bees could stay in year round and be able to close it up real dark for cold and stormy days.

salvo

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 12:55:13 am »
Hi Folks, BeeHappy,

I have no experience with "housing" bees, but I think it could be problematic should the temps rise above 50 and the bees can't orient, cleanse, and return quickly.

A pal of mine a few years back:

https://youtu.be/6wrqG4DHPKE

Sal

salvo

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 04:15:48 pm »
Hi folks,

Another pal, today:
Shed Experiment. 3 for 3 as of today?. Triple decker Nucs inside shed?. Only way out is through modified entrance. Hives are heavy and buzzing?. No bees inside shed flying around. Seams are sealed and I added a screen top observation portal.

Sal

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 11:34:28 am »
A pal of mine a few years back:

Sal

What's his overwintering success with TF basement beekeeping?
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

anything