Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Label Design  (Read 4981 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Honey Label Design
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 10:25:36 am »
Les,
Looks good. Way more information than we put on our labels.
We put name, phone number, weight and type of honey.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2022, 05:03:58 pm »
Hi Les,
I don't know how big the labels are BUT in the case of a 500gr jar - will people still see the honey?
Also, I never know for sure if it is Spotted Gum or what - mine is generally a natural mix.

One more thing - " Australian" is probably understood. I understand that" local" is the catch phrase of the year.
Why not print a few labels and run them past some of your trusted customers?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2022, 05:56:11 pm »
Looks good Les what type bottle do you use? Do you have a picture of your bottle?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2022, 10:09:48 pm »
Good thinking Max. The reason I posted here was to get ideas from the wizards out there. I will definitely make that change. Thank you for your input. I can also shrink the label if it is too large on the smaller jars. Phillip, I will post a couple of pics next time we bottle some honey. Max?s thoughts may mean a purchase of smaller labels as well.

Many of my flows are a multi floral flow (such as in the spring) but I also have specific flows such as a winter spotted gun or summer iron bark.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2023, 06:53:44 pm »
Hi Folks

The sticky labels are finished. Did a final costing for each label. Each label costs just over three cents to buy and the printing cost of black ink is just under one cent per label. 4 cents per label does not include time spent designing or printing. The beauty about the label is that I can modify it at any time. The sticky labels will be used on plastic pails and squeeze bottles.

Just thought I?d post a pic of what my wife puts on jars. About 5 years ago my eldest daughter designed a label which we still use. It is a swing tag held in place with jute string. Nutrition labels and contact details were then added via other labels to meet requirements.

Over time we started using a lot of commercial labels but still resorted back to this one when ever possible as we liked the crafty, homemade look. I will now use the artwork that was developed for the sticky labels to update this tag to a double sided label. The packaging details, contact info and nutrition detail will be placed on the back of the tag. This will reduce time and make a more attractive label. Size will increase but will be variable according to the jar used. Cost will be about 4.5 cents per label including double sided printing. I will post a pic when the tag is updated.

Cheers

Les

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 02:17:05 am »
Looks very nice.
I'm not sure how a lose label like this would stand up to our packaing? We pack 10 jars into a milk crate.

The huge plus would be...no sticky label to remove.

About Council requirements.
Our council has left us alone so far.
We used to be able to buy Australian made tamper proof jars - no more and we had to change to the metal lid type.

I prefer no to know if we are legally able to take jars back...They seem to find new rules every year.

I know that, legally, we beekeepers here in Qld would have to record each time we touch a hive.
I realise that there are dozens of programes which help you do this. I also know that I 'm past all this.

I gather that an extraction room needs to have a drain, basin...and I have yet to see a local beekeeper who is up with the latest requirements.

Most of my beekeeping mates don't even use a computer.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 02:54:57 am »
Thanks Max. We pack our honey into boxes and they hold up OK. Did a test tag today using the new design and a larger tag than the old one.

The size might be a bit big but the idea seems to work. I can reduce these tags with very little effort and will get more labels to the sheet if I do.  You are right about the regulations. There seems to be more every year. Now that we have varroa in the country, we will have to work a bit harder or smarter to comply. That?s just the way it is.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2023, 09:06:14 am »
I really like the hanging tags for many reasons.  The biggest is that I can recrystallize it if it goes to sugar, without destroying the label.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2023, 10:17:40 am »
I like it very much Les.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2023, 11:24:24 am »
You should label it as "gluten free, fat free, dairy free, free range" etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2023, 12:00:44 pm »
You should label it as "gluten free, fat free, dairy free, free range" etc.
:cheesy:  Don't forget "all-natural".  :grin:

Seriously though, that label looks great, Les!  It looks professional but rustic. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2023, 04:24:51 pm »
I really like the hanging tags for many reasons.  The biggest is that I can recrystallize it if it goes to sugar, without destroying the label.

Michael - you can recrystalize honey even with a lable.
I use an insulated box with a heater people use to keep Lizzards in terariums ( they have temperature control)
I set the control just below 40C.
It takes a couple of days but the honey turns back to liquid with no damage to the label.

Old chest freezers would work well with a small heating element.
max

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2023, 11:24:56 am »
I have put them in my car in the summer with the windows up... but it doesn't work so well in the winter...
-------------------

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2023, 04:48:23 pm »
I have put them in my car in the summer with the windows up... but it doesn't work so well in the winter...

You have to move to a place with warmer winters!  :grin:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2023, 08:46:03 am »
A nice day in winter here is 20 F (-6 C).  Though once in a while it warms up more for a day or two.  A cold day in Nebraska -40 F (-40 C).
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2023, 08:29:16 pm »
A nice day in winter here is 20 F (-6 C).  Though once in a while it warms up more for a day or two.  A cold day in Nebraska -40 F (-40 C).

Goodness thats cold! Your weather is similar to TheHoneyPumps!  I suppose a person has to find humor in times like these!

From the humor section:   :wink:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2023, 07:03:52 pm »
Hi Folks

Just a bit of an update on the honey label designs. After playing with apps on the iPad for quite a while now, I now have the process pretty well sorted. Modifications now literally take me a couple of minutes to have ready for printing. Swing tags of various sizes and styles or sticky labels can now be printed while I?m sitting having a coffee. Data such as honey types or batch dates can be changed quickly. This means that my wife and I don?t have to write anything at all on the labels. I now have to scope to change anything at a moments notice without any fuss. Although it was a learning process initially, the time spent has paid dividends already. I would recommend going through this exercise to anyone who has a few basic computing skills.

Cheers

Les

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2023, 03:27:20 pm »
I use waterproof labels.  They're a more expensive but always look great, withstand warming, cleaning, and look great even with honey on them.  Plus, with their stronger adhesive, they will outlast the product so when my customers need to buy more, the label is still there and still easily readable so they know who to return to.  :happy:

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2023, 03:35:45 pm »
That?s quite a valid point. Do you print your own or are they commercially made? I did look at them a couple of years ago but they were very expensive in my local area. The larger companies in the big cities may be able to make them for a cheaper price. Large print runs also helped to reduce label costs.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2023, 04:14:14 am »
If you use a laser printer (set on extra thick paper) then any standard paper labels will withstand going through a dishwasher. i.e as waterproof as you need them.

anything