Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Single frame observation hive.  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Single frame observation hive.
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2022, 07:40:53 pm »
Christmas markets were on yesterday.  Pinched a frame of bees and popped it into the observation hive.

This particular queen was a show off. She wanted to be seen and performed well for the crowds. The kids loved the display and asked lots of questions.

Plenty of tourists around and the sales were really good. People loved sampling the honey and most who tried it bought some. The comb honey was really popular and sold out before the end of the day. Hopefully the girls can produce some more comb soon.

Cheers

Les

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2023, 06:02:01 pm »
Hi Folks,

I thought I?d give one last report on the observation hive. It has been used at the markets five times now and has been an outstanding success. The hive has been a tremendous teaching aid for all things related to bees and honey. I knew that it would be popular with kids but was pleasantly surprised as to the interest shown by adults. After looking and asking questions, most people were really keen to sample honey. This was generally a trigger for honey purchases. The markets are held every two weeks and I removed a frame of bees on a rotation basis from two small hives. I have noticed that the disruption has held the hives back a bit but apart from that, there has been no adverse effects from removing bees and a queen for half a day. I now place lead diving weights on on the back legs of the frame just in case a big wind comes up and blows the frame over. It did occur once but it was a wild wind blowing that day. We position our stall so that the frame is constantly shaded. I did make a cover for the back and top of the hive if the sun was going to be an issue but haven?t had to use it. In my area, I could possibly use the observation hive all year round but there would be a few days where the temperature could be as low as 50 degrees F. I would also be wary of disturbing the brood nest during the cold months. We normally travel during the winter so  that problem has been solved for us.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2023, 06:12:45 pm »
The difference the observation hive makes at the markets came through clearly two weeks ago. The bees were left at home as it was cold and wet early in the morning. The day cleared and people came to look around as they usually do. The numbers of people stopping and looking at our stall was down considerably. Honey sales crashed by 60%. It was really noticeable. I asked a neighbouring stall holder how they went and they said that they did quite well. The bees were back again on Sunday and sales more than doubled. People want to stop, look and ask questions.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2023, 09:13:37 am »
Anything that gets people to stop and talk makes a huge difference in sales.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2023, 06:55:53 pm »
This is probably the best way to get that marketing attention and you get the opportunity to make friends along the way. Win win! Thumbs Us Les Thsi has been a great topic. Keep up updated.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2023, 02:16:09 am »
It?s been 11 months since the observation hive was constructed. During that time there have been a few people trying to sell honey at the local markets but they have all given up due to a lack of sales. They find it difficult to compete as the display my wife and I put on makes a real difference. No one else has tried a display hive and they have difficulty in stopping people to look at their produce. We have now built up a large number of regular customers who come straight to our stand to purchase honey. Kids and adults love to stop, look and sample honey. Using rustic label designs and presentation packages has drawn a lot of people in. At last weekends markets, another marketing weapon was utilised. My 9 year old grand daughter was put in charge of talking to customers. She did a great job talking to the public about the bees, giving out samples and managing sales. She was a real asset and made the day an enjoyable experience for everyone involved. In relation to the health of the bees, there has been no obvious issues. Having a frame taken from a hive once a month does hinder their progress slightly but I am quite happy to keep these hives a little smaller and sacrifice their honey making potential.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2023, 07:04:00 am »
Congratulations.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2023, 07:38:12 am »
I know y'all  are very proud of her Les. Sounds like she was the darling, of not only your booth but, of the entire market! At nine years old she must be very mature and full of confidence. At that age I would have been in a corner looking and watching. lol
As Michael Bush, I say congratulations to you and yours for your successful marketing strategy which is coming full circle.... Now when you add pollen to the public eye, a public who does not yet realize the value of it with the contents vitamins, enzymes, minerals etc., that should further spark their interest, opening the door to more interesting talk about our friend the Honey Bee while adding a new avenue of conversation! If your granddaughter reads this I would like to say to her: Good job young lady! Thanks for helping you family and learning and sharing so much about Honey Bees! You must be a very smart Young Lady!  Keep up the good work!!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2023, 07:16:27 pm »
She is a darling. It was the event she was really looking forward to. She had her mum buy a necklace with a bee on it, two bee rings and a bee happy tee shirt. You are right about the pollen. I might trap a bit over the next week, dry it and take it to the next market for people to look at and even sample. I will put a couple of propolis traps on for a few weeks and gather enough for Christmas markets. Michael is right about the pollen and propolis. People are sponges for information when it comes to honey and bees. They are genuinely interested and ask lots of questions.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2023, 08:46:33 pm »
I might trap a bit over the next week, dry it and take it to the next market for people to look at and even sample.
Be aware that it's not very good to eat by itself.  It varies flower to flower, but it's often kind of bitter straight up.  Just might want to warn people about that, or perhaps have something for them to taste it with.  I'm not exactly sure what would be a good thing to pair with it though, for this sort of application. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2023, 09:42:53 pm »
Just running through here but the one I liked at the fair was a simple hinged box with acrylic sides and a kind of shelf inside that the frame hung on.  The latches at the top of the box had little locks on them so the miscreants couldn't fool with it and the box had sturdy feet on the bottom.

As handy as you are, I bet you can knock out something in a couple of hours   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2023, 09:46:23 pm »
I might trap a bit over the next week, dry it and take it to the next market for people to look at and even sample.
Be aware that it's not very good to eat by itself.  It varies flower to flower, but it's often kind of bitter straight up.  Just might want to warn people about that, or perhaps have something for them to taste it with.  I'm not exactly sure what would be a good thing to pair with it though, for this sort of application.

In my opinion pollen is more so for the nuternatual value of it....  That would be the focus of the conversation if it can be steered  in that direction... Of course interest in taste is sure to be in the conversations. 

Phillip
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:33:28 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2023, 10:03:54 pm »
Hi Kathy,

Kids have been really good so far. To remove the lid and expose the bees, two wing nuts would have to be removed, washers then taken off and the lid would need to be lifted uniformly to allow it to move up and over the threaded rod that holds everything together. I would be negligent in my duty of care if that was allowed to happen as it takes a bit of time to do. My biggest issue is little kids with ice creams in their hand pointing at the acrylic sheets in excitement.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2023, 11:26:35 pm »
Lol.  Window cleaner and a rag  :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.