Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Single frame observation hive.  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Single frame observation hive.
« on: November 06, 2022, 12:33:10 am »
Hi folks,

Just got back from selling a bit of honey at the markets. While sitting and watching potential customers walking past, I started thinking about how I could attract more attention. I thought that if I could get people to stop and ask questions, the potential to sell honey would increase. With that in mind, I was thinking of making a single frame observation hive to have on display. A frame could be taken from an established hive and placed into the observation hive for no longer than about 6 hours and then returned to the mother hive. I?ve never done this before so I?m after a bit of advice from the wizards on this site. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Les

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Single frame observation hive.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 06:04:29 am »
Les I like your thinking out of the box. I do not know how the bees would react to not being able to come and go. All observation hives Ive seen have a way in and out. What would you do to over come this? Or would you need to if you have only a queen and nurse bees on one frame? Ventilation must be considered as well. I for one like the idea! I have little doubt this would increase your honey sales, not only honey, Lip Balm, etc and even colonies as well! (If you so desire).

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 06:34:55 am »
Thanks Phillip. I was thinking of one frame including bees. Not sure if I could use a frame of brood with the queen and bees attached or just a frame of honey with bees taken directly from a small hive. I am unsure if the bees could keep the brood warm or not. Just looking for ideas at this point. The frame would have clear acrylic sides and ventilation holes so there should be no issues from that perspective. It would be nice to be able to educate the general public in relation to the internal structure of a hive. The markets run for 4 hours so the bees would only be absent from the main hive for about 6 hours. I?m sure there are many members of the forum who could advise me.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 07:25:10 am »
Les,
I have two observations hives. One is in the house with permanent residents and the other is used for school demonstrations and for market displays.
The second one is a five frame Nuc that includes a feeder frame. One brood frame is placed in the top with the queen on it, everyone wants to see the queen, and the other four frames are in the bottom plus the feeder frame. You keep a Nuc hive available just for this observation hive if you are going to use it on a regular basis.
I used tork screws on all of the fasteners so that little Johnny couldn?t remove them , while I was distracted, and fill the classroom full of bees.
When I get up I will take some pictures and post them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 10:06:51 am »
We use an observation hive similar to this one at our state fair booth each year.
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/gifts-misc/educational-tools/observation-hive/
Several folks have them and lend them for the fair.
They will go for three days or so without needing changed.
Works just as Jim said. Only you need to watch that the drunks don't tip it to get a better look for the queen. :wink:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 11:00:50 am by jimineycricket »
jimmy

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 10:59:32 am »
Thanks Phillip. I was thinking of one frame including bees. Not sure if I could use a frame of brood with the queen and bees attached or just a frame of honey with bees taken directly from a small hive. I am unsure if the bees could keep the brood warm or not. Just looking for ideas at this point. The frame would have clear acrylic sides and ventilation holes so there should be no issues from that perspective. It would be nice to be able to educate the general public in relation to the internal structure of a hive. The markets run for 4 hours so the bees would only be absent from the main hive for about 6 hours. I?m sure there are many members of the forum who could advise me.

Thanks Les, I think Jim has hit the nail on the head (at least answering my concerns) and hopefully yours as well? Good stuff!!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 11:50:15 am »
Les,
Here are the pictures that I promised:
Here you can see where the viable frame goes. Notice the two sponge bowls in the bottom. That is for when I only use one frame of bees.

Here you can see the entrance door. You can keep the bees in this box all week between sales. I would keep it under a roof and remove the queen excluder.

Here is the view of the bottom. They need good bottom ventilation for transport.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 11:56:02 am »
The best way to increase sales besides using the observation hive is to give out samples. We use either a plastic spoon and a honey bear  bottle or pour a little honey on a cracker from the honey bear jar.
I usually get 75-80% sales of people who taste my honey.
Use both the observation hive and a he samples to get the best results.
Good luck.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 01:11:49 pm »
A lot of people around here use the style of observation hive that Jim and jimineycricket recommended for public events.  Jim, yours is beautiful, by the way!  I'm assuming you made that one yourself.  I just talked to someone at the county fair last month who had the exact Mann Lake one that jiminey posted, and she was saying how easy to use and great it is compared to the previous style she had. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 01:40:09 pm »
I also use the mann lake one. And Im happy with it. Ive only kept bees in it for a little over a week though. I just move the frame from topside to down below every night, opened the door,and put a nuc lid on top. One thing was because the thing was going out in the afternoon I put wet sponges in for water. and if your closing it up after the sun comes up you loose a little field force.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 02:49:20 pm »
A lot of people around here use the style of observation hive that Jim and jimineycricket recommended for public events.

We use an observation hive similar to this one at our state fair booth each year.
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/gifts-misc/educational-tools/observation-hive/
Several folks have them and lend them for the fair.
They will go for three days or so without needing changed.
Works just as Jim said. Only you need to watch that the drunks don't tip it to get a better look for the queen. :wink:

I didn't realize Man Lake sold anything like this Jimineycricket. Thank you for posting this link.

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2022, 02:58:47 pm »
Thanks so much Jim and everyone else who contributed. I never even thought of heading down the path of a nuc box. It does have merit as it means that the whole hive can be kept together and therefor the brood will be kept warm by the main hive. The sub floor ventilation is a good idea. Jim, you did say that you do use one frame of bees at times. Do you just pull a brood frame from an established hive in that situation? The sponge is also a good idea if the bees are to be locked up. You did a great job on building that display hive. I was a woodwork teacher for 36 years and if I had to assess your cabinet making skills, you would be awarded top marks.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2022, 03:31:03 pm »
Jim, very nice observation hive!!
Do you by chance have plans for this one??
Beautiful wood, what is it, teak?
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

salvo

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 05:44:59 pm »
Hi Folks,

My club is an integral part of the Massachusetts Marshfield Fair every August. We have as many as three observation hives, with queens, over a nine-day period. The bees can get out to forage through a tube through the wall. It's hard on the bees, but it's educational. It is THE FOCUS of attention when people walk into the Bee Barn.

Personally, I've used an observation hive only once. Too hard on my bees in hot weather. Kids are unpredictable when you're the only person manning the table and giving change. Everyone wants to talk, talk, talk about the bees. Never again.

I've tried samples. Sticky and messy. Open honey also attracts more honey bees around the area as well as yellow jackets.

I dress the table up with a variety of jars, placed just so, little colorful pamphlets, a banner, and photos.

I find it much more enjoyable when I split a table with a close friend. The banter and joking, and explanations are a riot. We exaggerate, lie, compliment and, well,... flirt! Compliment the men on their good taste in women. The men will buy whatever the woman tells them to buy. They're happy. You're happy. You've made a sale. Old men beekeepers can get away with a lot.

Show them BIG photos. I have a spiral book.

A really good line is: We have special queens at home that are as big a chickens.

I just tried to attach two photos, but they were 600 to 800 kb's. too large to post.

If I email them to anyone here, can you cut them down?

Easy set up. Easy break down. Count your money and go home.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 09:04:48 pm by The15thMember »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 05:51:14 pm »
I just tried to attach two photos, but they were 600 to 800 kb's. too large to post.

If I email them to anyone here, can you cut them down?
I can do it for you, Sal.  I'll PM you. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2022, 07:16:10 pm »
Jim, very nice observation hive!!
Do you by chance have plans for this one??
Beautiful wood, what is it, teak?
G3,
Thanks, I do not have the plans for this observation hive. I built it many many years ago for doing bee presentations for Judy?s pre school class.
The design is basically a nuc with a screen bottom and a top with slots cut in the wood for the glass to slide in.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2022, 08:10:24 pm »
Jim, did you use glass or clear acrylic for the windows?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 06:25:11 am »
Jim, did you use glass or clear acrylic for the windows?
Clear acrylic because I was designing it for use in schools.
On my permanent observation hive, when I first built it I used acrylic. Years later I replaced it with glass. It is easier to clean the wax off of it with a flat razor blade. After years of use I could not get ithe acrylic clean.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2022, 08:09:54 am »
Jim Tew has hauled one frame observation hives around for decades.  At the bottom of this page there is a simple design for an observation hive that you could easily scale down to either one deep or two medium frames:
https://bushfarms.com/beesobservationhives.htm#working
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2022, 03:18:28 pm »
Thanks guys. You have given me a good starting point for a design. I have another market stall in less than two weeks so I might get in and build a mock up and see how it works. If I can, I will grab a frame of brood from a hive and keep it in the observation hive for the day and then return it in the afternoon. Initially I will not include the queen in the test just in case I mess up in some manner.