BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

#8 Hardware Cloth Substitution

<< < (3/3)

NigelP:
Alternatively if you have open mesh floors just stick a board underneath for a few days and see what you find has dropped onto it..
Won't give you exact levels but will give you a simple yes we see varroa/no we don't see varroa. If you see lots of varroa....you are in trouble :)

Ben Framed:
Thank you Mr Bush, Nigel, and crew. In the mean time Lesgold came up with an alternative that fit the bill. (I do not know the situation in Australia 'at the present time' concerning 'this' subject). Les wrote the following in the Down Under Beekeeping Section , Topic: "Varroa detected in Australia" a week or so ago. I appoligie for not updating his idea 'here' at that time.

Phillip

--- Quote from: Lesgold on July 14, 2022, 12:29:36 am ---Hi Guys.

A few years ago I made a couple of top bar hives. I had the same problem in finding a small gauge mesh. In the end I found this stuff :

It?s actually a brand of gutter guard that I found at a local hardware store. It?s made from aluminium and comes in at about 7 segments to the inch. As you can see, the spaces are not square and the thickness of each aluminium section is slightly thicker than what you would see on hardware cloth. The main point is that bees did not get through it. It can be purchased in rolls up to about 250mm wide. Max, if you want a piece, PM me with your address and I?ll post a piece to you.

Cheers

Les

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version