Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?  (Read 68518 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
Re: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?
« Reply #680 on: April 16, 2024, 08:38:49 am »
You could possibly cut out a small section of comb with eggs for him, which won't have a major impact on your new hive. I do this quite frequently when requeening and it seems to work well.
I was wondering about something like that. Thanks, I'll look into that. Could a few eggs possible be picked out with a dental pic and placed into his comb?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #681 on: April 16, 2024, 10:01:12 am »
Good idea Nigel. How do you place this small piece into your hive in need??

Phillip
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 10:48:11 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #682 on: April 16, 2024, 10:24:46 am »
I don't know of any way to glue an egg to the bottom of a cell.  Picking out eggs and putting them in cells will just result in the bees removing those loose eggs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #683 on: April 16, 2024, 10:42:04 am »
A few years ago van from Arkansas asked a question, can worker bees move eggs. I can?t find the topic, but the answer seemed pretty well agreed upon, no. So if the bees cant do it. . .
If only a few eggs are intended to be moved, then I would think Nigel?s way would be the answer.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #684 on: April 16, 2024, 11:18:58 am »
You could possibly cut out a small section of comb with eggs for him, which won't have a major impact on your new hive. I do this quite frequently when requeening and it seems to work well.
I was wondering about something like that. Thanks, I'll look into that. Could a few eggs possible be picked out with a dental pic and placed into his comb?
No harm in trying if you have the time and patience. Thats how we learn things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #685 on: April 16, 2024, 11:41:11 am »
Good idea Nigel. How do you place this small piece into your hive in need??

Phillip
I make plastic triangular template (margarine tub or similar) and use it to cut out a piece with eggs in from donor hive. Take a frame from recipient hive,  take same  template and cut identical piece out of frame  and replace with your cut out bit with eggs. If its too loose  half a cocktail stick will keep it in place. Major problem is wires in frame but I simply cut these.....could also use a cookie cutter at a pinch
This way it is easy to see that any queen cells here have been drawn from eggs, not 4 day larva, as can be the case.
It also means you can donate eggs to three or four hives/nucs from one frame of  your "good" queens and not really weaken the hive.
For requeening  bad girl hives you simply destroy any queen cells that are not on you implanted triangle of eggs.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 03:53:23 am by NigelP »

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #686 on: April 16, 2024, 02:24:08 pm »
It all sounds interesting to me and if I get enough resources, I'd play with it. My neighbor reports that his uncle has two queens on tap for Saturday and that beats the time it would take to make a queen. I just hope his idea bo make two hives isn't too big a bite for the remaining workers. I feel like he's on borrowed time right now.

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #687 on: April 16, 2024, 03:54:37 pm »
And my nuc appears to be doing well. I found what I suspect is a SHB on top of the hive this morning and I whacked it but it doesn't make me feel good about them. Where there's one, there's more. They're drinking syrup like drunken sailors and have been bringing in pollen all day long. I see some stragglers coming in early, before others are going out. I expect that those are foragers who didn't make it in before curfew last night. I don't know if they're a gentle crew or if it's normal but I can sit on the wall right next to the hive and supervise them without getting harassed.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #688 on: April 16, 2024, 04:32:15 pm »
I don't know if they're a gentle crew or if it's normal but I can sit on the wall right next to the hive and supervise them without getting harassed.
It's very normal, especially for a hive this small.  As long as you stay out of the flight zone, most hives will just go about their work and ignore you. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #689 on: April 17, 2024, 07:27:02 am »
>No harm in trying if you have the time and patience. Thats how we learn things.

No.  No harm.  But I don't see any way it can succeed.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #690 on: April 17, 2024, 07:49:12 am »
>No harm in trying if you have the time and patience. Thats how we learn things.

No.  No harm.  But I don't see any way it can succeed.
What do  you see as the failure point(s)? If I ever decide to give it a go, I'd keep them in mind. BTW, I'm known to do things umm...errr....eeeehhh...differently than other people. :cool: I hear, "That's not exactly how I would do that", a lot.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #691 on: April 17, 2024, 08:08:37 am »

Not quite like NigelP method; I learned this from a Fellow in another country a few years ago.

Here is the original post.

A unique way to develop queens.

<<on: April 24, 2020, 02:06:10 pm >>

With the recent talk of queen rearing and grafting, I have decided to share the following. I am learning form a fellow in the middle east, (Turkey), that raises queens differently from anyone that I have studied anywhere in the world. Translation of languages on google sure helps! What he does is place the queen in a queen excluder cage that holds an empty brood frame. placing this right back in the hive. When the larva is the right age, and all will be the same age in each area, he removes this frame, cuts a long strip of this comb with the contained larva, shaves off a small portion of the comb face, leaving the larva automatically in a shallower cup than was original. Then, cuts these into one pieces cups separating them , placing them in a Nicot holding holder, (The pale yellow cell cup block), (the one that you would normally place the little hard pale brown cell cups in), securing these on the bar lined up as a normal nicot go round. Then he places a drop of wet wax to make sure the cups are bonded in place, then adding this set up to his cell builder, and the results are astonishing! The larva are never disturbed.

Phillip

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=53547.msg483414#msg483414

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #692 on: April 17, 2024, 08:21:50 am »
Loose debris in a cell, including loose eggs, get removed (possibly consumed).  When the queen lays an egg it's glued to the bottom standing upright.  I don't know how to glue it in such a way as to not damage it.  Even one that is still glued to the bottom (i.e. in queen cells or in cells turned sideways as in the Hopkins method) just get removed if they are not needed for queens and not already larvae.  With a Jenter system I have "grafted" (removed the plug in the bottom and put it into a plastic cell cup) larvae and they remove them.  With the Hopkins method you turn a comb flatways.  Again, when attempting to use eggs, they just remove them.
-------------------

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #693 on: April 17, 2024, 09:29:26 am »
Aaaah, ok, thanks for that explanation.

Offline Salvo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #694 on: April 17, 2024, 12:07:33 pm »
Hi Folks,

I bought two 25 pound bags of sugar today, for the house, the bees and the hummingbirds.

Walmart. $19.97 each bag.

Last time I remember getting it I was looking for forty-seven cents a pound. My, how time flys.

Well, everyone in the chain got a raise.

Sal

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #695 on: Today at 02:45:45 pm »
I just deleted the last couple of posts.  Please keep political talk out of the bee sections.  Feel free to discuss further in the Coffee House. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #696 on: Today at 04:57:41 pm »
I added a second jar of syrup and put more holes of a smaller size in the lid and so far, all is working out. I placed some 1/2" slats in there to set the jars on and put the jars off each end of the hole in the inner cover. I can see hordes of bees crawling around through the hole in the inner cover. My hive boxes all have a port on the side that I can take off and look inside and the brood box is not seeing any activity on the outside of the outer frame. I won't go into the hive for another week but is there a time frame when I should expect to see some activity on that outer frame? It was cooler today and the foragers didn't go out until after noon. I'm also seeing a few ants crawling around. Not a lot, just a few, is this a sign of an pending invasion?

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #697 on: Today at 05:55:21 pm »
I just deleted the last couple of posts.  Please keep political talk out of the bee sections.  Feel free to discuss further in the Coffee House.

I apologize.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #698 on: Today at 06:27:59 pm »
Me too

Offline Salvo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #699 on: Today at 06:29:50 pm »
Father Michael, Mr. Yaki

Mea maxima Culpa.

For each of you, your penance; Please say three Our Fathers and three Hail Marys .

Go forth and sin no more. Per omnia secula seculorum.

Salvatore