Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which fastners  (Read 4748 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
Which fastners
« on: December 04, 2016, 06:47:59 pm »
Just wondering what hive fasteners everyone uses or prefers.
My hives will be in a paddock that has cattle and sheep at various times through the year. Wouldn't usually think sheep would be a problem but they are dorpers and inclined to rub on anything they can find so could be a problem.
What does everyone use/prefer just in case the worst happens, toggle latches, z springs, emlock fasteners or something else?

Offline Mark Smith

• New Bee
    • Flatwoods Bee Farm
Re: Which fastners
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:55:40 pm »
Livestock and bee hives don't mix well. I would not have the hives where the cows and sheep have access to them. The bees will not be happy!!!

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:53:59 pm »
Unfortunately livestock and hive interactions are just something that has to be dealt with as best you can on most working Australian farms.
I'm only just getting into bees myself but others have had hives on our farms on and off for over 30 years. I can only remember seeing hives knocked over twice in that time. Once I witnessed it happen,
A young inquisitive steer walked into the middle of over 50 hives. The bees let him know he wasn't welcome and in his haste to get out knock a few over.
The other case I have no idea what happened but would guess something similar. 
I don't have any experience with hives and dorper sheep but given their love of rubbing they could be a problem.

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:45:06 pm »
No pro, and can't help with the livestock. I have a similar dilemma that currently
I've solved temporarily just by using a cheap tie-down strap. I don't like it due to the ratchet mechanism, which upsets the bees, but it works. It'll also rust up in the rain I reckon.

My second hive have a similar strap with no ratchet, it's just a friction hold which won't be good enough once I get past 1 box.

My local supplier sells emlocks, but they're expensive. I bought a roll of galvanised strapping and some rubber expanding hooks to loop through the strapping holes to hold it in place. Cheap but I haven't used as I realised the wind at my place n eds a good strong hold-down, and I don't think that'll do it.

Open to suggestions myself.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:01:07 am »
Emlocks may be a little more expensive, but put on properly they should hold the hive together if it does get accidentally knocked over. I have had hives on properties where there were cattle without any problems (Maybe I was lucky).

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 07:48:52 am »
I've got 12 dormers in my home paddock, they have knocked over a few neucs but other than that all good.
Reade clips for all our boxes, better than emlocks when things go wrong. In my opinion.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:44:26 pm »
I have had my hives in my pastures with my bees. I recommend that you put in a base unit that is very heavy, mine was 2-12' railroad tracks spaced 19"s apart, or is anchored in the ground. You can then use the ratchet straps to lock the hives to the base. This gives the bees time to react to the intruder and keeps them from being knocked over by a good bump.
I now just leave my bees on my bee trailer and keep the straps on the individual hives, not strapped to the trailer. This puts the hives at nose height to my cows and the only thing they can bump is the trailer.
Having the straps on also slows down the bears a bit.
Jim
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:21:47 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 09:04:59 am »
What does everyone use/prefer just in case the worst happens, toggle latches, z springs, emlock fasteners or something else?

I don't have this problem myself - but if I did it would be solved with an electric fence surrounding the hives.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline hollie

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:19 am »
That's my solution little john -electric fence is worth the effort if you plan to keep them in that position most of the time. Cheers.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 04:38:55 pm »
Yes, I have cattle and an electric fence does the job. At $ 12 the EMLOCKS are worth the money

Offline Mike_Macheti

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 03:31:51 am »

Does anyone know of any reason a box set could not be lifted (by two people) by sliping a pipe under an EMLOCK strap?
 Cheers

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 09:46:22 am »

Does anyone know of any reason a box set could not be lifted (by two people) by sliping a pipe under an EMLOCK strap?
 Cheers

Hi Mike and welcome to Beemaster. I do not know the answer to your question but, if it helps, I have seen a hive moving tool that is used by two people. I suppose it grips by friction as the beekeepers on each side lift simultaneously. There are also hive lift discussions here at Beemaster that you might find very interesting.
Again sorry I do not have a definite answer to your question. Maybe someone else here has tried this and will share their experience?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Mike_Macheti

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 03:16:34 pm »

Hi Phillip.
Thanks for the welcome and the information.

There is a nice site nearby on the side of a river. Unfortunately access is very steep and even a 4WD will not get back up to higher land after rain - let alone after the occasional floods we get here.

I will have a look at the thread you mentioned.

Thanks again,
      Mike

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 03:52:42 pm »
Your Welcome Mike. Search >Hive Lifts< and the topic access should be made known. The last post on that topic was in August this year. If you have trouble finding it let me know and I will help further.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 02:03:45 pm »
Hi Mike, I am just curious as how things worked out with your hive moving problem? Did you get the bees successfully relocated into the new area?

Phillip

Offline Mike_Macheti

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 05:29:38 pm »
G'day Phillip,

I have since found a couple of better sites for hives, but am still looking at lifters.
 I figure it's a lot easier to choose good sites to start with, and thereby make things easier from there.

But I'm still looking for a good lifting solution to be able to easily get stacks on and off my vehicle and then move them.

I've only just started out and so far only have 15 brood boxes - and a stack of flat-pack frames and more boxes to prepare.
 So I don't need anything too fancy. Maybe later if things go well.

So far I'm thinking a good solution might be a removalist-type trolley with a hand-cranked platform to raise and lower boxes.

The thread you recommended; "hive lifts", has some great ideas. I'm about half-way through reading that thread so will head back there now.

There's a meeting of regional apiarists tomorrow so I'll see what I can gleen there.

Cheers from Australialand
 Mike

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 11:38:06 am »
Thanks for the update Mike. It is good to hear the thread was of interest to you. Enjoy your meeting!

Cheers back to you from America.
Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 08:16:06 pm »
Mike I ran across this old Thread and imeadently thought of you. I don't know if it will be of help but here it is. If your interested type the title in the search menu and it should pop up for you..

Phillip

"Build Your Own Hive Carrier?"
? Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 12:16:56 am ?