Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow the bloom 2021  (Read 19183 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Follow the bloom 2021
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2021, 11:23:33 am »
I was out in the yard yesterday and was stunned to see goldenrod in full bloom already.

Wow that is news! This has been a strange year weather wise. Perhaps this has something to do with it.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2021, 05:42:13 pm »
I have a picture of Golden of Golden Rod blooming in NE Texas on Aug 13 2021  Seems early to me

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2021, 12:08:20 am »
Seems early to me also Paus. Are y'all getting a lot of rain?  So far I have not seen any blooming here...

I have a picture of Golden of Golden Rod blooming in NE Texas on Aug 13 2021  Seems early to me
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2021, 04:41:12 pm »
Just now getting a LITTLE dry.  This has been a cool summer, also Smart weed is blooming which is a source for fall nectar.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »
I agree, the fall flowers seem to be starting off early this year.  The native sunflowers are budding already, and so are the smaller goldenrods. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2021, 02:32:04 pm »
Brazilian pepper has came to me. 4 years in this location and never had it before, all my hives are full of it. I was not expecting or prepared for this, I am now a little concerned about backfilled broodnests and swarming.  For those not familiar with it, they make yellow comb with it.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2021, 03:58:51 pm »
Rast I had not heard of Brazilian pepper until explained by SteveO of Steve's Outdoor World, whom I understand is located in your general area. I suppose the stuff is spreading..

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2021, 04:23:43 pm »
Brazilian pepper has came to me. 4 years in this location and never had it before, all my hives are full of it. I was not expecting or prepared for this, I am now a little concerned about backfilled broodnests and swarming.  For those not familiar with it, they make yellow comb with it.
Woah, that's crazy.  Is that from the color of the nectar? 

My flow is winding down.  There is a trickle of a flow from the late asters and goldenrod, but not significant enough to not have to feed weaker colonies. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2021, 05:38:47 pm »
Member I am experiencing much the same as you in my area. I am getting pollen from goldenrod but not very much nectar..

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2021, 09:21:44 pm »
Member, I have no idea where the pigment comes from, like you I assume the nectar. The honey is not yellow and has a different taste, some like, some don't like most everything. I just know for the first time, I have hives full of yellow comb.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2021, 07:14:34 am »
The yellow color in the wax comes from the yellow pollen.  It gets on every thing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2021, 02:17:36 pm »
rast how did your flow do up there

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2021, 09:47:31 pm »
A lot better than last year, I pulled the palmetto and left the cabbage for the bees.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2021, 09:04:56 pm »
Bottle brush blooming! Bees def. flying to and from my thoughtful neighbor, who planted & let the bottle brush mature without shearing, so it blooms often & heavily.

Tea olive blooming too, but the bees don't seem to go for it.  Smells great tho.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2022, 11:00:55 pm »
Sabal palm staring after slight dearth. Liriope is starting to send up flower spikes.

anything