Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Package Bee ??  (Read 832 times)

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
New Package Bee ??
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:09:12 pm »
Should you pull the cork on the queen cage to expose the candy right away? Or wait a day or so to expose the candy???? I have heard it both ways but don't really know....

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
Re: New Package Bee ??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:17:37 pm »
It all depends upon how long the package of bees have been in the box.  For instance say it was a California package that had two days to get from cali to you.  In that case most beeks would go ahead and pull the cork on the candy end.  It will take them a couple days to eat the candy to free the queen.  In transit they would have gotten acquainted with the new queen and as long as they are not biting the wire on the queen cage you should be ok to pull the candy cork.  If they are still biting the wire, then give them a day in the hive prior to doing it.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: New Package Bee ??
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »
If the bees have been in transit several days before I install, them, they are well on the way to accepting the smell of the new queen.  I take a sharp nail and make a hole thru the center of the candy after immediately removing the cork.  After three days I go back in and if the bees are trying to feed and care for the queen thru the wire, I release her after pulling three outside frames and sticking my hands and the cage down to the bottom of the hive body.  That way she runs under the frames instead of possibly flying away.