BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Pollen and Other Specialty Bee Products (Re: Today I Made)

(1/10) > >>

Michael Bush:
People eat the pollen.  It's most palatable (and perishable) in it's "just harvested" form (still moist).  But keeps the best if dried.  It has a lot of nutritional value, which you can find online.  Protein, B vitamins etc.

Propolis is used by people in many forms.  Some make it into a tincture.  Some just chew it like gum.  Some freeze it and, while frozen, pulverize it into a powder and put it in capsules.  The properties are that it is antimicrobial, so the tincture is used as mouthwash and gargle.  The capsules are used as an immune booster.

Another byproduct is royal jelly.

I usually do the beeswax in small pieces (usually a cute mold of some kind).  People often buy it to wax thread.  And of course there are candles, soap and lip balm &c.

Lesgold:
Thanks Michael. I?ve never tried to harvest or sell propolis. It would be a simple task to collect it but I?m not sure if there is a market for it here. I suppose there is one way to find out. I?m sure that it is a valuable by product of beekeeping. I designed and built a pollen trap about 10 years ago but wasn?t sure what to do with it when I collected it. In the end, I gave it back to the bees. Would love to learn more about these products. Looks like Google is going to get a workout.

Ben Framed:
Les the following was taken for a post in the Topic: https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=55038.msg501245#msg501245

Bee Pollen Facts

Nutritional Benefits of Pollen
A supply of of bee pollen is like holding a whole health food store in the palm of your hand. With the addition of roughage and water, the human body can survive on honeybee pollen alone. This is because it is the only food which contains, in perfect balance, all 22 known essential nutritional elements which humans require to achieve and maintain optimum vitality.

Bee Pollen Nutritional Analysis
(The following table provides an analysis of the average bee pollen content.)
VITAMINS              MINERALS
1. Provitamin A              17. Calcium
2. B1 Thiamine             18   Phosphorous
3. B2 Riboflavin              19. Potassium
4. Niacin                      20. Sulphur
5. B6 Pyridoxine              21. Sodium
6. Pantothenic Acid      22. Chlorine
7. Biotin                      23. Magnesium
8.B12 (cyanocobalamin 24. Iron
9. Folic Acid              25. Manganese
10. Choline              26. Copper
11. Inositol              27. Iodine
12. Vitamin C              28. Zinc
13. Vitamin D              29. Silicon
14. Vitamin E              30. Molybdenum
15. Vitamin K              31. Boron
16. Rutin                      32. Titaniun

ENZYMES/CO-ENZYMES   PROTEIN/AMINO ACIDS
33. Amylase              51. Isoleucine
34. Diastase              52. Leucine
35. Saccharase              53. Lysine
36. Pectase              54. Methionine
37. Phosphatase      55. Phenylalanine
38. Catalase              56. Threonine
39. Disphorase              57. Tryptophan
40. Cozymase              58. Valine
41. Cytochrome systems 59. Histidine
42. 24 Ixudiredyctases.  60. Arginine
43. 21 Transferases       61. Cystine
44. 33 Hydrolases       62. Tyrosine
45. 11 Lyases               63. Alanine
46. 5 Isomerases       64. Asparatic Acid
47. Pepsin                       65. Glutamic Acid
48. Trypsin               66.Hydroxyproline
49. Lactic dehydrogenase   67.Proline
50. Succinic dehydrogenase 68. Serine
69. Nucleic acids       83. Hypoxalthine
70. Flavonoids               84. Nuclein
71. Phenolic acids       85. Amines
72. Tarpenes               86. Lecithin
73. Nucleosides               87. Xanthophylls
74. Auxins                       88. Crocetin
75. Fructose               89. Zeaxanthin
76. Glucose               90. Lycopene
77. Brassins               91. Hexodecanal
78. Gibberellins               92. Monoglycerides
79. Kinins                       93. Diglycerides
80. Vernine               94. Triglycerides
81. Guanine               95. Pentosans
82. Xanthine               96. Alpha-aminobutyric acid

Lesgold:
I?d better get some and add it to my breakfast cereal lol.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Lesgold on September 13, 2023, 10:25:42 pm ---I?d better get some and add it to my breakfast cereal lol.

--- End quote ---

There is an older gentleman who lives close to me who is a youtuber. Tim Durham "The Walls Beeman".
A few years ago before I had a pollen trap I went and visited Tim for the purpose of buying some pollen. He had a Little Red Wagon, the type kids are pulled in,.  Filled to the rim with one pound bags of pollen which would soon be added to the freezer for storage, assuring it would be fresh upon upcoming sales. I had never seen so much pollen..

Tim has been keeping bees since a young age. He has very interesting stories to tell including the time he removed a colony of bees from a sixties TV stars home. Aunt Bee was her television character name on the popular American Television series; "The Andy Griffith Show..."  He said she carried herself exactly as she did on the TV show, including bringing him a tray with a nice lunch on it.... He was living in North Carolina at the time..  Tim is quiet a character himself! lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version