Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Think I spent my Saturday well.  (Read 499 times)

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
Think I spent my Saturday well.
« on: June 05, 2021, 11:16:55 pm »
Smoked a picnic roast and pulled a little honey. Not a bad way to spend a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Think I spent my Saturday well.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:18:32 pm »
What a nice day! A little honey :shocked: :grin:?
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 11:22:27 pm »
I pulled a medium maybe three weeks ago and got 25# out of it. Put the frames right back in the hives and pulled 7 of them again today. This was the jars for the first box.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 11:24:27 pm »
I pulled a medium maybe three weeks ago and got 25# out of it. Put the frames right back in the hives and pulled 7 of them again today. This was the jars for the first box.

I really like your bottle, I use a similar style bottle but it does not have honey stamped on it. I really like yours! A marketing sales magnet!
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 11:25:41 pm »
I got them at Betterbee.com. They came with the corks and seem reasonably priced.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 11:36:03 pm »
I got them at Betterbee.com. They came with the corks and seem reasonably priced.

Thanks 30WCF. You are on to something good when it comes to selling you honey if that is your wish! Mine sells like candy bars when I set up at a citizen center, using a similar style bottle.  I am still amazed at how fast it goes! Same goes for other circumstances.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 11:40:10 pm »

Thanks 30WCF. You are on to something good when it comes to selling you honey it that is your wish!
I was stocking up for Christmas gifts and whatnot. As I understand it I would need a dedicated room and inspections in order to be able to sell.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 11:42:52 pm »
That is exactly how I market mine, as Gifts at Christmas!  "Honey The Sweetest Gift! " Is labeled on my bottles and on my displays placed at different locations. Actually that is my trademark name!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 06:41:49 am »
30, you don't need it to sell direct to the consumer. You only need the label and what is required on it. I think it is "weight, the words pure honey, and your contact info". To sell to stores for resale may be different.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 10:08:12 am »
Below is a picture of the honey we just harvested. It is mainly from 3 hives with one medium super from a fourth hive. That is a 35 gallon barrel that my brother and I fixed up.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Jim Altmiller

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 10:34:58 am »
30, you don't need it to sell direct to the consumer. You only need the label and what is required on it. I think it is "weight, the words pure honey, and your contact info". To sell to stores for resale may be different.
Thanks iddee. That helps. Is there some reason I picked up the notion that I would need a dedicated honey room with stainless counters and stuff. I may have just made that up in my head.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 10:35:37 am »
Below is a picture of the honey we just harvested. It is mainly from 3 hives with one medium super from a fourth hive. That is a 35 gallon barrel that my brother and I fixed up.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Jim Altmiller
That?s a pail of honey right there.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 11:50:21 am »
.30, I have read it somewhere. I think some states require it to extract and bottle for other keeps, but not sure of the details. It's not NC for direct consumer sales.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 12:04:24 pm »
.30, I have read it somewhere. I think some states require it to extract and bottle for other keeps, but not sure of the details. It's not NC for direct consumer sales.
Thanks for the reply. This seems to support your information on labeling.

https://www.ncbeekeepers.org/resources/labeling

Offline The15thMember

• Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 12:29:41 pm »
Wow, 30!  All that honey AND barbeque!!  If I didn't already have plans, I'd be coming your house next Saturday.  :wink: :cheesy:  I like your crush and strain setup with that bin.  I'm currently using a strainer bag and a big stock pot, and your method looks like a nice way to scale up a little bit from where I'm at. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 12:51:44 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 01:20:03 pm »
A lot of states require a certified kitchen in order to bottle and sell honey.  Florida recently changed the laws. We now have a Cottage Industry Law that allows us to sell honey person to person with out a certified kitchen.
Jim Altmiller

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 02:44:42 pm »
Wow, 30!  All that honey AND barbeque!!  If I didn't already have plans, I'd be coming your house next Saturday.  :wink: :cheesy:  I like your crush and strain setup with that bin.  I'm currently using a strainer bag and a big stock pot, and your method looks like a nice way to scale up a little bit from where I'm at.
That?s just the cappings. I have a shallow bucket with lots of holes in the bottom nested in a deeper bucket with a gate for the cappings, them moved them to the strainer over night.

I actually got 2-1/2 more pints this morning from the cappings.

This honey is distinctly milder and lighter than the frames pulled only a few weeks ago.

Here is my set up having had no intent to sell. I might need to bring it indoors if I plan to sell some in the future. I had been planning on gifting it.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 09:18:32 pm »
You have a nice set up 30.....  I bet you love the extractor!

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 09:37:33 pm »
That thing is the ticket. I thought about building my own, but I got this one pretty reasonable. There were reviews about it shaking all over the place and being out of balance, but it runs very steady if you think for a half a second about how you put the frames in.
I do mean smooth. It mostly sits there and doesn?t even look like it?s running. By the time I uncap a frame, I go flip the ones in the extractor, go uncap the next frame and wipe my hands and any drips off the table, and it?s time to change frames. I bet it?s 5 minutes or less between reloadings. If I?m exaggerating then it?s 7 minutes.
$205 on Amazon Prime, how couldn?t I?
I couldn?t justify building one at that rate.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 09:46:07 pm »
That thing is the ticket. I thought about building my own, but I got this one pretty reasonable. There were reviews about it shaking all over the place and being out of balance, but it runs very steady if you think for a half a second about how you put the frames in.
I do mean smooth. It mostly sits there and doesn?t even look like it?s running. By the time I uncap a frame, I go flip the ones in the extractor, go uncap the next frame and wipe my hands and any drips off the table, and it?s time to change frames. I bet it?s 5 minutes or less between reloadings. If I?m exaggerating then it?s 7 minutes.
$205 on Amazon Prime, how couldn?t I?

>$205 on Amazon Prime, how couldn?t I?

Agreed. If you don't mind me asking, did this include shipping, (I am really reaching now :-) That would be the icing on the cake! 

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 09:51:52 pm »
It did. Just looked at the sales confirmation page to verify, $218.83 to my door after tax. Ordered it May 13th, and had it May 16th. Cant beat that with a stick.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 09:53:59 pm »
It did. Just looked at the sales confirmation page to verify, $218.83 to my door after tax. Ordered it May 13th, and had it May 16th. Cant beat that with a stick.

Wow! That is awesome... Is it a 2 framer?

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 10:00:56 pm »
Yes. 2 frame. They did have a 4 frame option.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 10:07:48 pm »
Proud for you! This is only the beginning. Think of all the good golden honey that will go through this in years to come.....

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2021, 11:13:15 pm »
I think you could put 4 medium frames in there if you did it right, definitely 4 shallows I would imagine.
Just to clarify, if I load it wrong, it will jump right over the porch rail. But if you look at what it?s telling you and respond accordingly it is steady as a peg. It took me one set of frames to work out the details, but I put the top bars in the middle of the cage and lean the frames out in opposing directions. Not a great explanation I?m sure, but it?s smooth as silk. Even with a fat comb and a skinny comb, a hand placed on top will settle it. I had an odd number of frames the other day. I put two that I had already spun on one side and the full frame on the other side to get the last frame done. I had to steady that a little , but nothing alarming and not what you see on YouTube when three people are trying to hold the thing down and destroy all their comb.
If you load it right you?ll have no trouble. 98% of what I?ve done has been turn it on and walk away to cut cappings. A couple mismatched frames were steadied with one hand.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 11:21:43 pm »
I think you could put 4 medium frames in there if you did it right, definitely 4 shallows I would imagine.
Just to clarify, if I load it wrong, it will jump right over the porch rail. But if you look at what it?s telling you and respond accordingly it is steady as a peg. It took me one set of frames to work out the details, but I put the top bars in the middle of the cage and lean the frames out in opposing directions. Not a great explanation I?m sure, but it?s smooth as silk. Even with a fat comb and a skinny comb, a hand placed on top will settle it. I had an odd number of frames the other day. I put two that I had already spun on one side and the full frame on the other side to get the last frame done. I had to steady that a little , but nothing alarming and not what you see on YouTube when three people are trying to hold the thing down and destroy all their comb.
If you load it right you?ll have no trouble. 98% of what I?ve done has been turn it on and walk away to cut cappings. A couple mismatched frames were steadied with one hand.

Sounds good!