Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Take care of your equipment...  (Read 1540 times)

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
Take care of your equipment...
« on: June 01, 2021, 10:15:04 pm »
And it will take care of you!
Last summer I bought a bunch of old woodware off of a guy that was helping a family clear out their grandpa's stuff after he passed away. Some just needed paint and others needed more. I got around to tearing apart and repairing a couple of old telescoping covers last weekend and found something interesting. Evidently the guy liked to insulate his tops with newspaper.
This was a we'll made cover and had a Journal and Sentinel from Winston-Salem NC printed March 25, 1934 used as insulation.

Safe to say the repairs came to an abrupt end and I was distracted for about 2 hours while I read the paper.

This forum has an archaic limit on attachment size. My screenshots are 4 times the limit...
If I can find a decent hosting site I'll post some of the pictures.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Take care of your equipment...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 11:08:08 pm »
On my cell phone I use a free LitPhoto app to crop and/or reduce the size of a photo to 200kb. When accessing Beemaster on my laptop, I use the plain old Paint program by Microsoft.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:26:49 pm »
When I use tapatalk on the phone, I do not have to do anything for pictures format.  When I use the computer it is always a super-chore to resize every single one to be shared.  I understand the reasons behind limits. But that does not make it any less frustrating. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 08:42:28 am »
And it will take care of you!
Last summer I bought a bunch of old woodware off of a guy that was helping a family clear out their grandpa's stuff after he passed away. Some just needed paint and others needed more. I got around to tearing apart and repairing a couple of old telescoping covers last weekend and found something interesting. Evidently the guy liked to insulate his tops with newspaper.
This was a we'll made cover and had a Journal and Sentinel from Winston-Salem NC printed March 25, 1934 used as insulation.

Safe to say the repairs came to an abrupt end and I was distracted for about 2 hours while I read the paper.

This forum has an archaic limit on attachment size. My screenshots are 4 times the limit...
If I can find a decent hosting site I'll post some of the pictures.

Very cool, I would like to see pictures. Great to see someone else refurbishing old equipment. We have a family friend who owned several hundred colonies back in the mid 80s, and I got some woodenware from him. I'm sure its more cost/time effective to use new stuff. But I love the process of restoring the old stuff.
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 12:56:32 pm »
Oh that is so neat!  I love old newspapers.  Around here people used to wallpaper their cabins with newspaper, and anytime we go to a historic site I always wish I could hang around for hours and read all the clippings.  Well, the ones visitors haven't defaced with their names anyway.  :angry:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 02:32:07 pm »
I had two outer covers from my dad's equipment which had newspapers from the mid 60's sandwiched between the metal and wood. Back then not a lot got wasted. 1934 papers must of been a treat to read.   

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 03:04:28 pm »
Maybe newspaper stuffing for insulation was the trend back in the day?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 03:33:40 pm »
I remember watching a show on tv years back about a guy who renovated a home built in the 1930s. The inside of the walls were lined with old movie posters that the original owners used for insulation. All from that time period and many still in great shape. Don't quote me, but I seem to recall the value of the posters was worth about double what the house would be once remodeled haha! Pretty cool stuff.
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 07:31:28 pm »
News paper was a common insulator in Australia under the tin lid.
Some now use the insulation used on houses, foil one side, couple of sheets under the tin.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 07:35:03 pm »
BEWARE of AFB in old gear, wax dip at 150C for 10 min. The old paint is easier to get off after wax dipping.
Just run a strainer around the dipper to get the paint that falls off.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 07:51:17 pm »
BEWARE of AFB in old gear, wax dip at 150C for 10 min. The old paint is easier to get off after wax dipping.
Just run a strainer around the dipper to get the paint that falls off.

Good Stuff Oldbeavo. Thanks for the information.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.