MEMBER BULLETIN BOARD > PHOTO PAGE - MEMBER PHOTOS & BEE-MOVIES HERE!

2020 Swarm Traps In-Situ

<< < (3/3)

JurassicApiary:
Caught my very first swarm yesterday (Memorial Day)!  In that very trap I posted a picture of at the start of this thread.  I swapped out the 5 frames about a week and a half ago with some that had a fresh coat of wax on the foundation. Wondering if that gave it the appeal...
Will let them get settled in for a while before I disturb them. Would it be best to move them into a 5-frame NUC, or a 10-frame deep?

Thanks, Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolBees:
Congratulations Matthew. That's cool that it worked out! I'd go straight for the 10 frame installation - if you have a flow coming in. Swarms can really produce wax! ... so they grow very quickly.

JurassicApiary:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on May 27, 2020, 11:26:17 am ---Congratulations Matthew. That's cool that it worked out! I'd go straight for the 10 frame installation - if you have a flow coming in. Swarms can really produce wax! ... so they grow very quickly.

--- End quote ---
Thanks, Cool.  Definitely flow going on right now. Looking forward to moving them into their new home shortly.

Folks, this trap is about 100 yards from where I want to place it with my other hives. Should I relocate them away more than 3 miles for a week before moving them to their final location or since the entrance will have a screen in front of it at the permanent location, will they reorient okay and not go back to the old location? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version