BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > HONEYBEE REMOVAL

Oil tank hive

<< < (3/3)

Dryhole:
Well, over the winter the boxes were deserted.. No dead bees that I could see. Today I had to do some work near the boxes and it seems I have some bees that took it over. I will post pics this weekend some time of what?s going on inside the boxes. I know it needs some TLC. I only have enough supers for one box but the new combs they?re marking are kind of all over the place. Should I just cut the excess comb off and make them restart on the supers? I plan on putting all the bees in the bottom box and removing the top box, for now. Then I will get some supers and Queen excluder online or from a local bee guy. After that I will put the top box back on for honey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Framed:
Dryhole, You are having an up and down experience. Congratulations of the new catch. Do the frames have foundation? Even without, if they are properly spaced out and have some sort or starter strip from the top bar, the bees will most of the time, build straight comb, has been my experience, unless the box is not level. If you are not using foundation, make sure the box is level. Bees build comb from the top down using gravity as one of their tools.It is good to hear from you again. If you have more questions ask away. (I do it all the time!) lol  There is sure to be someone here that will be able to answer. Good beekeeping to you Sir.

Phillip

.30WCF:
Did I miss read or did the cut outs go in between frames?
And did a swarm find the hive and move in, or did robbers find it and are cleaning it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version