Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hobbies other than beekeeping  (Read 4859 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hobbies other than beekeeping
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2021, 07:34:35 am »
I did that course back in the 80s while stationed in San Diego. Mostly Squirrels. I enjoyed that course.
Jim Altmiller

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 07:39:32 am »
I did that course back in the 80s while stationed in San Diego. Mostly Squirrels. I enjoyed that course.
Jim Altmiller
Curious if it was updated at some point? These ones instruct you to use some nasty chemicals that can?t easily be had today, and the deer ears are lined with lead sheets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 12:47:21 pm »
What a great thread to revive! 

30, all that stuff you have made is amazing!  (Not least of all the food, mmmmm. :tongue:)  I can't believe you built that smoker out of some bricks you found lying around!  And those old taxidermy booklets are so cool!  I love old stuff like that. 

Can books be a hobby?  Because that is mine.  I love to read books, collect books, organize books, even write books.  I'm working on a novel right now, and I love writing poetry and essays too.  I guess it would be more accurate to say I love stories actually, because I love movies and TV shows too, but books will always be extra special to me.  According to my Goodreads account, I'm currently reading 9 books.  I always have several nonfiction books going, as well as a fiction book I'm reading by myself, a fiction book I'm reading aloud to my adult sister, a fiction book I'm reading with my little siblings, a fiction book I'm reading to the whole family, and a non-fiction book I read to my mom while she works in the garden or in the kitchen.  All this reading has fostered in me a love for languages, and I'm learning Latin right now just for fun, so I can eventually read books in another language too.

My other big hobby is stargazing, although the weather this time of year doesn't tend to cooperate very well with that one.  My mom got a telescope probably about 10 years ago, but she never really used it.  I took it over, and I love finding Messier objects like nebulae and star clusters and galaxies with it.  I can recognize and find in the sky all the major constellations in the northern hemisphere, and I try to catch all the good meteor showers every year.  I even have a solar filter for the telescope so I can safely look at the sun.     

My sister also taught me how to knit last year, and I'm working on my first real knitting project right now, which is a scarf.  I'll never be as good as her I'm sure, but I really like knitting because it helps to keep me busy with something productive during down time.  My sister also got me a book on tying knots for Christmas.  I've been having a lot of fun learning to tie different ones, and that knowledge has actually come in handy several times already.  I also play the piano and am teaching one of my young sisters to play as well.  She seems to have a real natural talent for it.  I don't play as much as I'd like, but beekeeping has made my fingers really strong, which has made me a better player.  My adult sister and I are actually working on learning to tune the piano ourselves, since we couldn't get a tuner to come out during COVID and we realized it is something we could in fact teach ourselves to do.                 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 02:05:08 pm »
That's pretty awesome 30.  :grin:

Beautiful. ... everything!

I also reload. Been doing it for - "a long time". How do you like the price (and availability) of Primers today? I've been "stocked up" for years. But the lowest prices I'm seeing are $175 per 100. The box on my bench says $9.99 per 1,000. What a difference 12 yrs makes, eh? ... in 2008 I had a friend closing his gun store. He calls me and says "my primers are 40% off - how many do you want?" I said, "All of them". ...

Beautiful job on the taxidermy. That's cool!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2021, 05:05:15 pm »
That's pretty awesome 30.  :grin:

Beautiful. ... everything!

I also reload. Been doing it for - "a long time". How do you like the price (and availability) of Primers today? I've been "stocked up" for years. But the lowest prices I'm seeing are $175 per 100. The box on my bench says $9.99 per 1,000. What a difference 12 yrs makes, eh? ... in 2008 I had a friend closing his gun store. He calls me and says "my primers are 40% off - how many do you want?" I said, "All of them". ...

Beautiful job on the taxidermy. That's cool!
I hadn?t bought any in a while, but things are sure scarce. I?ve been seeing it come back a little on the shelves here lately. I don?t need them right now for $175.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2021, 10:40:58 pm »
I don't play as much as I'd like, but beekeeping has made my fingers really strong, which has made me a better player.  My adult sister and I are actually working on learning to tune the piano ourselves, since we couldn't get a tuner to come out during COVID and we realized it is something we could in fact teach ourselves to do.                 
Do you play the keys with your index fingers and thumbs with more gusto now than the other fingers?

Offline The15thMember

• Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2021, 12:00:50 am »
I don't play as much as I'd like, but beekeeping has made my fingers really strong, which has made me a better player.  My adult sister and I are actually working on learning to tune the piano ourselves, since we couldn't get a tuner to come out during COVID and we realized it is something we could in fact teach ourselves to do.                 
Do you play the keys with your index fingers and thumbs with more gusto now than the other fingers?

Haha!  No, because I beekeep with all five fingers!!  :shocked:  :cheesy:  I'm serious though, it used to be if I went several months without playing, I'd really notice that my touch sensitivity was off, and I'd tire my fingers out pretty quickly.  Since beekeeping, I can sit down and play after a long break without any ill effects, well except forgetting the music I learned before.  :sad:  Your ring and pinky fingers will always be weaker than your other three (unless you are a pro or something), so the fact that those two don't get a workout isn't very noticeable.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2021, 10:19:17 pm »
I was looking for a picture of an old head stone for 15th ( couldn?t find it) but found thaws I thought I would share here.
A friend had a upright straight forward mount he wanted redone. I told him I could do something with the same form and eyes if he didn?t care if I tried something out. I pulled the old skin and got a new cape.  I don?t have a picture of it painted up and finished, but it was a cool mount. I cut up the straight form and reshaped it, and put it back together with bondo and long screws.
I made the panel out of maple plywood and some trip pieces.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2021, 10:19:59 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2021, 10:20:40 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2021, 10:20:59 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2021, 10:33:31 pm »
Here is a fox I had and a pheasant from a trip to Kansas when I was 18 or so. Years later I was moving and didn?t have room to take it to my new house. A bunch of turkeys went to the landfill, but I gave this one to a friend.