BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > HONEYBEE REMOVAL

Excited Just got a call to remove a hive in the hollow of a Tree.

(1/8) > >>

Angi_H:
I just got a call on my voice mail for someone in a neighboring county to remove a established hive in a hollow of an old tree. Hopefully it is an old tree that they no longer want.  I am going to call them tomorrow Morning and find out all about it and how long it has been there. We were almost 70 today and will be also tomorrow. And I know it is not time for them to swarm. I bet they have been there for a while. What would be the best way to go about this? I know I would have to take the tree down in sections. But what if they dont want the tree down? Do you think depending on the tree if I cut the opening big enough to be able to remove the brood and honey that it can be done if they want the tree. Do you think the tree would heal over if I sealed where I cut with tree seal? Please any thing for my first hive removal. I really do hope I can get this hive as it would be a great start to getting my package in mid April.

Angi

Cindi:
Angi, sorry I can't give you any words of advice, but that is so cool that you got this first call, and you don't even have your bees yet, just wait until you get bees and you are well known, lovely.  If and when you do it, have a great time, you may become very addicted to this line of stuff like so many of some other forum members.  Have fun.  Have a beautiful and greatest of this day, love this life.  Cindei

Angi_H:
Well we have to do it before Monday next week as hubby goes back to work then. If they are in the same county as the Farm show I am going to for the next 3 days. I will go by after we get done there. I know trying to place a trap out wont work very well. And where would I find Queens now if I dont get the queen Omg UGGHH> I plan on having hubby take pictures. If I do this. Wish me luck.

Angi

Jerrymac:
Don't know about California but around here hollow trees don't last long. The wind breaks them then a mess of tree is falling on houses and cars and such. Just tell them it is a hazard and it really should be cut at least down to the hollow spot.

NWIN Beekeeper:
[What would be the best way to go about this? ]
[I know I would have to take the tree down in sections.]

This is the best way.
Screen the openings before starting to cut.
Keep in mind that live tree trunk is a lot heavier than you probably imagine.
Also consider, the more cuts you make, the more exposure you have to the bees.
It also means more chance to kill the queen.
If this is to happen on your time schedule, I would recommend trapping foragers with a cone.
This depopulates the hive a little bit and helps prevent too much congestion.
Congestion causes heat and too much heat will kill the colony.

A lot of how to cut a tree depends on the type of tree and how the colony is located in the trunk.
Other factors like how many entrances and nearby dead branches can impact the integrity of the tree.
It also depend on if you have professional help and buckets and boom trucks.
A good tree company can gently fell a tree without a sound.
Any redneck with a chainsaw will inevitably will kill the bees and get everyone stung and still want a jar of honey.

[But what if they dont want the tree down?]

Tighten your boot straps you're in for a ride.
Just kidding, your next best option is trap out.
But you might get your package before the trap out is complete.

[Do you think depending on the tree if I cut the opening big enough to be able to remove the brood and honey that it can be done if they want the tree.]
[Do you think the tree would heal over if I sealed where I cut with tree seal?]

You might be able to cut a sizable hole, but like you said, it depends on the tree.
The cells and structure of a tree is like a bundle of straws.
If you cut them low, you damage much of what is above.
So if you cut any sizable hole, it probably will adversely impact the tree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version