BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Migratory vs Telescopic lid

<< < (4/4)

The15thMember:
Here's one of my hives with a migratory cover.

I have a solid inner cover on this hive right now, because it's been cool here lately, but normally throughout the summer I have a screened inner cover, which has the sides open for ventilation. 

Here's one of my hives that has a true telescoping top.  You can see the opening of the screened inner cover between the top 2 boxes. 

The15thMember:
Here's a shot up under a telescoping top. 

If I position the top this way, the bees can have access to an upper entrance hole, which is cut into the edge of a solid inner cover. 

With the equipment I own, those are the setups that I use.  Forgive me if any of this is obvious.  I'm not sure what you guys have in your country as opposed to what we have over here. 

Acebird:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on October 18, 2019, 08:49:20 pm ---If I position the top this way, the bees can have access to an upper entrance hole, which is cut into the edge of a solid inner cover. 

--- End quote ---
I do the same and have a word of caution.  When using an escape board for clearing the supers you must remember to close off this vent.

paus:
I make my screen top almost like yours, I do not cut the "saddle on the sides I just ease the completed top down onto the table saw and cut a <1/8 inch slot about 6" in the sides this way there are fewer unwanted guest, such as roaches, and SHB if they crawl up the box.  Thanks to Jim, shavings in the top work wonders for moisture control in the winter and for summer insulation

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version