Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello Frpm SEPA  (Read 7478 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Hello Frpm SEPA
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2023, 07:32:41 am »
"Swarms like hives with drawn comb.
Jim Altmiller"

Yes they do!...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2023, 08:30:17 am »
OK, thanks Jim. By the time spring arrives, I should have enough info gathered to be successful. If I could acquire two hives and have them survive the first winter, I'll be happy and proud of myself. I don't think it's unachievable but I don't think it will be all that easy either. I figure I'll have to be on top of my game and ahead of the curve to make it happen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2023, 02:44:33 pm »
As I gather my supplies, I'll take all the help I can get on what more I'll need. So far, I have two complete hives with 2 deep and 2 medium boxes/ea, a smoker, a veil, a couple of hold the queen while I mark her tools, 2 clips for catching queens, which can probably be used for hold her still while I mark her tools, some plastic cages that stick into comb to hold her until they get used to her and a few of https://www.ebay.com/itm/385403282514?hash=item59bbd36452:g:~EAAAOSwoI5j5IV9&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4ESzBzJyOIE%2By%2B1phRiJa8JerhIlzhMGV4uSh3xSX3apU%2B5GBmDLxMz5isVwDSZ5FDTsFCooK3F4uqV3ZKlJAQmCp9vd4DuXaZm8U%2B75w30iQMUnavdqEFGdkr33Ybly2usCJucl%2BJ88eimTZN0eN5EgaHj4%2BdMFE5T%2FJwsz%2BckV2BYdqm28kvEs2c5JFOWSXQW74libR5878ojXYk7zV%2B0IpD5Afpru9jaghiXOKNs0qftuyoR%2BiKBJUEyjIfqZv6xyP3ADr4yeQMrSi426yytv98CYSqwqv8b4hYSHkDfn%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9Cc8_raYg that a vendor put into my box by accident or as a gift. I don't know what to do with this one.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2023, 03:48:29 pm »
That's just another style of queen cage.  Unless you are wanting to requeen a swarm or a split from your neighbor, you probably won't need all these queen tools (at least right away, although I don't own most of those items :happy: ) since you won't be introducing a new queen to the bees.  The marking tool will probably be handy, and I do like to have a queen clip around for an emergency, but you won't need the queen cages in all likelihood.

The biggest hole I see in your supplies is a hive tool, which is indispensable for inspecting a colony.  Also, if you don't have them I'd recommend entrance reducers of some kind for the hives, because usually a small colony is vulnerable with the entire entrance open.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2023, 05:04:00 pm »
I bought some of those plastic queen clips when I first started. I have had good success in using them. I have found that as Reagn; "The15thMember"; they are handy to have around. I will post a link that you might find interesting which (might) require more than one queen clip during swarm season if you run into the need.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=54466.msg495006#msg495006

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2023, 05:04:47 pm »
NOT just one hive tool. You will lose it the first day. 2 or 3, then you will never lose the first one. Murphy's law. LOL.
I recommend not handling the queen nor using a queen excluder the first 2 years you have bees. You will have more experience, more confidence, and more success.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2023, 05:05:27 pm »
Large smoker.  Full jacket with an attached hood comes in handy especially if you intend to do removals and until you determine your tolerance for stings.  Hive tools I'd say.  I always have one or two go missing. 

I have never caged or marked a queen.  That's just me.  It would be low on my list of things to get. 

I like the weighted inspection cloths.  Easy enough to make.  Bread knife.  Dollar store variety will do.  Flashlight.  I like screened bottom boards for a lot of the year. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2023, 05:08:47 pm »
I agree with iddees' post all the way. Especially more than one hive tool for sure, per the reasons he stated. I also agree with Kathy about the jacked she described adding; make sure it is a ventilated jacket and hood. It will be a welcome relief in the heat..

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2023, 06:52:57 pm »
On the 'hive tool', I have a heap of small prybars around. Won't they work? And the smoker is a 'large'. I'm not real familiar with what large is but it's the larger of the two that TSC had.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2023, 07:04:20 pm »
some small flat bars are almost identical to some hive tools. What i use is one of those, a painter's tool (because I'm used to them mostly) , and a thing I cut out of a steel shelf bracket.
But I'm a total nooob and know very little.

The thing that I want right now is one of those frame grabber tools. Using channel locks now but the angle is wrong and youhave to squeeze harder than you should to hang onto the frame.
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2023, 07:36:22 pm »
The thing is, animal, if you have a J-hook tool, you don't need that frame grabber, and honestly, I wouldn't recommend a frame grabber to a newbee, because it's better to get comfortable having the frames in your hands. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2023, 07:44:00 pm »
Animal,
I have 2 frame grabbers. I never use them. My wife likes them.
I don?t like them because they tend to drop frames, full of bees. Twice I almost dropped frames while holding them tightly with the holders. Never used them again. I use my bare hands.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2023, 07:55:07 pm »
That's a great thing about this site. Say something wrong and you’ll be corrected quick and they’ll explain why.

For me, wanting a frame grabber is more of a personal problem. A full grip around something with my left hand works fine. A fingertip grip weakens considerably depending on which way I turn my arm or hand (rotator cuff injuries are weird).

I will say that I don't like the design of the reasonably priced frame grabbers. They kinda look like a way to squish bees to me. I plan on making my own out of 2 pairs of channel locks welded together if I ever get the time.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2023, 07:57:01 pm »
I have used a paint scraper/putty knife since I got bees.  I bought a frame puller but did not use it even once and have never had a hive tool.  I love the paint scraper.  On a very few boxes, the bees have glued them together enough that it can tax the scraper but they seem almost perfect for bee keeping.  Fingers for holding frames.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2023, 07:58:02 pm »
I have found the frame grabbers to be handy for releasing a stuck first' frame in the box on occasion, (my bees produce a lot of propolis). But once the frame is half way up I use my hands from there. I have had a similar experience Jim.. But mostly I use a hive tool with a hook on the end which does a good job of releasing a propolis gued frame..

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2023, 08:02:18 pm »
gww I have also used a paint scraper. They work ok if you do not have a lot of hives to go through. The j hook hive tool does a slightly better and faster job in my opinion.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2023, 08:04:44 pm »
For me, wanting a frame grabber is more of a personal problem. A full grip around something with my left hand works fine. A fingertip grip weakens considerably depending on which way I turn my arm or hand (rotator cuff injuries are weird).
That's totally fair, and that's another thing to remember about all these tools in beekeeping.  There are particular situations or particular people they are helpful for, but as a newbee, you don't yet know what it is you need or want, so it's best to stick with the basics.  But then, once you have a little experience, if you find yourself thinking, "I wish this particular thing was easier", there is probably a tool to help you.  And if not, you can make one.  :happy:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2023, 08:19:34 pm »
"That's a great thing about this site. Say something wrong and you?ll be corrected quick and they?ll explain why"

Really I don't think anyone was intending to correct, just point out their own experiences both positive and negative for helpful benefits.... Another good thing about this site. We may disagree on political issues but most all of ua are quick to help each other on other topics. In my opinion that is what keeps Beemaster members, a family like bunch..

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2023, 08:27:53 pm »
True Ben ...
But  ... as one that has been corrected more than once on this site ... I greatly appreciate those times and am pretty sure there will be more times in the future that I'll also appreciate ... 'cause I know I'll be making more mistakes  :wink:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2023, 08:33:52 pm »
Thanks animal. I also appreciate our experienced and knowledgeable beekeepers speaking out as well as hearing the ideas of beginners. Together we all learn.