Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: is Jasmine a poison plant  (Read 2897 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
is Jasmine a poison plant
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:32:56 am »
I have a friend that is in Florida right now and with the poor weather that everyone is having, including florida his bee's are not building up.  Many of the nector flowers that are usually going for him right now have been frosted out.  A beek down the road for him told him that the only thing the bee's have to work on right now is jasmine that grows with yellow flowers, on vines in the wooded areas.  This beek said that the nector makes the bees drunk and many end up dieing.  I tried a google search but all I found was white flowered jasmine and nothing about bee's.  Has anyone heard about this kind of thing

Offline mastro

• New Bee
Re: is Jasmine a poison plant
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:10:21 am »
I've heard that about rhododendron, possibly poisonous honey?   

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:38:13 am »
I know that Jasmine is very poisonous to pets, no idea regarding bees.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:59:40 pm »
well I found the answer to my question on beesource forum.  Carolina Jasmine is toxic to bee's if gathered in quanity that only happen when late spring frosts damage more desirerable blooms

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 03:33:03 pm »
I found out yesterday from our Fl yahoo group that the Carolina Jasmine is problematic not only to the bees but also it is toxic in all sorts of ways including the honey that results from it.  Therefore, I cut a big one down that I had on the side of the house yesterday. 

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 04:47:55 pm »
We have the white flowered jasmine and the bees just love it. 

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 07:12:33 pm »
I intentionally grow night blooming jasmine at my house in Florida. Bees do not pollinate it. Night moths do. It does not bloom or scent during the day. However there are varieties that bloom during the day. Those varieties are not poisonous to bees with the exception of yellow jasmine which is poisonous.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible