Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Prodigal Queen  (Read 1095 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
The Prodigal Queen
« on: September 14, 2023, 02:47:51 am »
So I pulled 10 gallons of honey tonight. Still got a little more to go tomorrow. Funny thing is, that middle hive. It had a QX on it and had was queenless , but making cells a few weeks ago. I pulled all the beloved above the QX tonight. Shook them out. Blew them with a leaf blower and took them inside. 
I got to a stopping point because I needed another bucket and it was already 8:30. There were still a fair amount of bees in the deep box on the table so I took it back out and blew it out again with the leaf blower. I pulled a frame to make more room for the blower and saw some brood. I checked a couple more frames and yep, eggs and larvae. No queen. I already spun 3 boxes of honey above the QX out. So I looked around where I used the blower and found a small circle of bees all facing the center. I put her back in the hive. I looked. There was nothing under the QX. I?ll check back in a week or so. She had a rough day.
There is no upper entrance and using migratory covers. I suspect when she came back from mating, she went upstairs before the plumped up. She still isn?t super fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: The Prodigal Queen
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 08:14:01 am »
I had a queen get above an excluder once. I figured I 'must have' made am era during an inspection, some way placing the queen above rather than below.. I never really got to the bottom of the mystery as I called myself being aware, striving to not let this happen..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 11:06:16 am »
When I inspect a hive with an excluder on, I always unstack the boxes and when I get to the excluder I flip it so that the queen side stays facing the brood nest and flip it back over when restacking so if the queen is on the excluder she is still in the brood nest.  It's easy to get her on the wrong side otherwise.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 11:28:19 am »
Thanks Michael.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 03:19:44 pm »
I?ll be all over 15 gallons once the caps drain.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 09:00:08 pm »
I got one batch of cappings on its last bath, and just starting the second batch.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 09:22:51 pm »
I got one batch of cappings on its last bath, and just starting the second batch.

What do you have on the stove there?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
The Prodigal Queen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 09:28:15 pm »
Cooking down the wax. I boil it a couple times. The wax floats. The cocoons stick to the bottom. It takes a couple cycles, but then you have a clean disk of wax. This one is shaping up to be an inch thick by eight inches wide when it cools completely.
EDIT: I put water in the pot too. The wax floats on the water and you dump the dirty water out.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
The Prodigal Queen
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 10:49:31 pm »
I forgot. I?ll melt it in water a time or two and let it separate and scrape the junk off, then run it through a paper towel one time and melt if a final time.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 11:52:06 pm by .30WCF »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 03:26:57 pm »
Nice.  I do it the same way, just in the crock pot.  I'm nervous about heating something flammable like that on the stove. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 03:57:58 pm »
Oh, to be fair, I never said it was a good idea. ;)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 08:11:10 pm »
The best way to melt the wax is with a pot with built in heating element and a spout drilled into the side high enough to have water in the bottom and a little bit of wax below the spout. This way pure wax comes out without the trash or propolis. Before I do this all of my wax goes through my solar wax melter. That gets rid of most of the trash.
Bill Murray made one and one of these days I?m going to make one.
Judy and I are planning on make a bunch of candles to give away at our 50th wedding anniversary next year so I need to make one soon.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 08:32:55 pm »

Judy and I are planning on make a bunch of candles to give away at our 50th wedding anniversary next year so I need to make one soon.
Congratulations!  What a thing to celebrate!  :happy:

anything