Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hobbyist: For Uncapping: Hot Knife, Cold Knife, Roller, Scraper, or Other?  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
For you hobbyist, what is your favorite way to uncap honey frames for extraction purposes? One of the above mentioned in the title or another method? Have you experimented with more than one method? Thanks
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
I use a bread knife and a scratcher, mainly because its what I have. Thought about a roller, but wonder just how much of a cell they open up, could cause blow outs and have not got past the price of a plane yet. I can only get so much for my honey.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
We have tried most of the uncapping tools. The main one we use is the serrated uncapping knife from Mann Lake. We also the standard scraper and a Pollibee uncapping fork that you pull to remove the capping.
Heated knives get too hot and burn the honey. The roller does not work very well, it does not open the cells up fully.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
I use a filet knife 8" long.  I like the flexibility of the blade.  I tried a serrated knife but it seemed to tear more than cut. 

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Breed Knife works for me, will try a hot knife this year.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Serrated bread knife for me. I picked real long and flexible one up at a flea market and love it. Any caps that get missed get a quick scraping with a regular fork or serving spoon.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
The backwards uncapping fork in the 3 inch size and the standard tine scratcher are all that is needed.  The backwards fork is really quite amazing at how fast and clean cutting it is.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
The backwards uncapping fork in the 3 inch size and the standard tine scratcher are all that is needed.  The backwards fork is really quite amazing at how fast and clean cutting it is.

This is exactly the thing I got last season and it worked really well. Recommend.

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
We use a hot knife with a foot pedal power switch. It keeps the knife from getting too hot. Something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VSF64RM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_F0VCVDK14NERYDFQRZ1C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Then a tine scratcher to get whatever the knife doesnt.
I normally only use the knife on the comb that is pulled out even with the top bar of a frame.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
I made my own switch that I also hooked a light to so I know the hot knife is on or off.
https://youtu.be/WG9_Zz0Xtho
For a small number of frames you can use an ordinary hive tool.  You can use it for low spots too.  I learned that you could do this quite effectively when I helped a commercial beekeeper extract.  One guy stood over a 55gal drum covered with expanded metal and went to town.  He was precise and fast.  Frames went into a 60 frame extractor.  Loaded one while the other was spinning.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
Got a hot knife, a cold knife and a roller. Don?t use any of them. I use an old long bread knife (emphasis on old). Also have to use a scratcher now and again on low caps.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
The backward uncapping fork seems to be easiest for me.

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
The Maxant planer is my favorite bee tool. 
@burleybeeyard

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Serrated bread knife for me. I picked real long and flexible one up at a flea market and love it. Any caps that get missed get a quick scraping with a regular fork or serving spoon.
Same here. Bread slicer and a fork.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Thanks for all the input and suggestions folks. Appreciated!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
We use a hot knife with a foot pedal power switch. It keeps the knife from getting too hot. Something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VSF64RM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_F0VCVDK14NERYDFQRZ1C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I normally only use the knife on the comb that is pulled out even with the top bar of a frame.

I?ve been meaning to go to the beauty section at Walmart to get a ?tine scratcher? my self.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
Have been using a steam uncapping knife for the last 40 years. I tried an electric knife about 5 years ago but went back to the steam knife.
Kev

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee

Found a video of the plane.  You can run it faster than what I?m doing here.
@burleybeeyard

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My current favorite is an uncapping plane.  Much easier on my wrist than the knife.  For fully drawn plastic (Honey Super Cell and PermaComb) I often have to use a punch.  I just got all the fixings for a steam knife.  I might like that better.  One thing that improved any of the heated plane and knife configurations was a foot switch so I can turn it off between frames so it doesn't scorch.  My hands are too messy to be plugging and unplugging it all the time...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7

I?ve been meaning to go to the beauty section at Walmart to get a ?tine scratcher? my self.

You may get something similar at the beauty section at walmart. The one I ordered, as pictured by HoneyPump, came in just today. The tips are very sharp. Not as sharp as a leather sewing awl by close, very close. The rig from walmart 'might' do the job but I would think the sharper points would definitely be an asset.

anything