Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lemongrass near hives  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Stung

• New Bee
Lemongrass near hives
« on: June 17, 2021, 03:53:49 pm »
I know they draw to it. would it help swarming. any other ideas.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Lemongrass near hives
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 04:28:06 pm »

Welcome Stung, Yes they are drawn to it. (Lemongrass oil) I am told if you put it in a swarm catch box it may help draw a swarm.
I have found the best attractant to a swarm from my experience is a seasoned nuc box with at least one frame of comb and the other frames with foundation. The foundation is to help assure no cross comb in case you do not reach the swarm box in time. The bees start drawing new comb very soon after arriving in their new home.

.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:21:20 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 05:37:52 pm »
My mom has some lemongrass in her garden.  The bees don't seem to really notice it.  The essential oil is generally what's used for swarm lures, but I'm not sure that the plant just as it is attracts them very much.  Mom's is still small though, so maybe they'll investigate it more when it's larger.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 12:30:32 am »
I doubt that bees will be drawn by lemongrass plants nearby. It is the internal sap of the leaves infused into oil that is potent and effective.
I take a Qtip, dip it into some good quality lemongrass oil. Dab at the box entrance, mark the top of one of the frames, place the Qtip in a small zip lock bag and put it into the bottom of your swarm box.
And as Ben Framed said, a previously used box or frames gives it an irresistible bee smell they like.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 08:41:50 am »
What Bob said x2.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 08:51:51 am »
I was a little late this year setting up a swarm box so maybe that is why it didn't work.  However bees swarm all year long down here.
Up until the rain came they were nailing this Agave every day.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hFe1ivFrVuB1HJVH9
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 12:05:07 am »
The bees aren't interested in my lemongrass plants but seem to love the oil we use in the swarm traps.