Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Name this predator...  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Name this predator...
« on: June 12, 2021, 09:59:41 pm »
Who knows what this insect is?
I am interested for curiosity sake. A few bee casualties makes no difference to a healthy hive.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Name this predator...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 10:18:34 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 10:56:11 pm »
Iddee.
Thanks. That's exactly what it was, an assassin bug. They are good predators and beneficial in the  vegetable garden. Unfortunately, this one killed a bee, so I assassinated the assassin bug.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 01:12:05 am »
Phenomenal photograph!  Definitely an assassin bug.  As you said Bob, the predatory types are beneficial for the garden.  Just want to mention for any insect enthusiasts out there, while they are usually quite docile, assassin bugs can deliver a painful bite (really more of a stab, with their proboscis) if they feel threatened, so not an insect to handle willy-nilly.     

My favorite assassin bug is the wheel bug.  They can get up to an inch or inch and a half long.  They are just so charismatic with that cog on their thorax.  :happy: 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 11:53:55 am »
Both good pics.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 12:01:42 pm »
Both good pics.
Oh, I just stole that photo off Google.  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:25:15 am »
Not me. My pic was taken on my Galaxy phone and cropped on my laptop. My photo services can be made available to you, the public, for an expensive, jacked up price.  :wink:

anything