Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Installed Two Nucs  (Read 1500 times)

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
Installed Two Nucs
« on: May 02, 2020, 10:16:08 pm »
After a 5 hour drive from San Antonio - installed two nucs at the Bostick place in insulated Paradise hives.  Gave them 1 gallon of feed each.

It was a weird 101* here today.

Last spring I was worried that my new bees would be too cold.

Now I'm worried that these will be too hot!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Re: Installed Two Nucs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 12:24:51 am »
I'm not familiar with the Paradise insulated hives, although I have two Apimaye insulated hived that I'm currently testing.  Does the Paradise IH have a screened bottom?  In addition to the insulation, that would help in preventing overheating as well.

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 10:47:47 am »
I'm not familiar with the Paradise insulated hives, although I have two Apimaye insulated hived that I'm currently testing.  Does the Paradise IH have a screened bottom?  In addition to the insulation, that would help in preventing overheating as well.

Yes, it has a screened bottom and vents at the top.

The bottom has an insert that can be easily removed.  I'll go back and do that today because the forecast has two more days of unseasonably high heat.

I really like these hives: https://www.blueskybeesupply.com/polystyrene-hives-components/

41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 11:10:36 am »
Friends, I have a question. What good does it do to use an insulated hive body if you have a screened bottom and vents on top? Will you not achieve the same results that Brother Langstroth design using a similar set up?  (Screened bottoms and vents in the top?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 11:32:04 am »
Let me add, congratulations on the two nucs!! Good deal!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 12:42:52 pm »

Great news Father Michael, new hives. 

I have 2 types of insulated hives I am trying.  One type had inserts in the bottom board.  The issue I see is the screen on the bottom inserts us open enough for a small hive beetle to transverse.  So I sealed the bottom inserts with silicone as SHB are a serious hive predator in my area.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 01:06:54 pm »
Friends, I have a question. What good does it do to use an insulated hive body if you have a screened bottom and vents on top? Will you not achieve the same results that Brother Langstroth design using a similar set up?  (Screened bottoms and vents in the top?

BF, in my instance as our temperatures here don't fluctuate to extremes as some localities do, I'm testing the insulated hive primarily because of how wet/damp my climate is.  My home is in a rain forest and we receive 150+ inches of rain annually.  I'm hoping the insulated hive offers greater longevity (it doesn't rot), ease of maintenance, and less mold/milder issues to contend with for the bees and myself.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 01:24:03 pm »

Yes, it has a screened bottom and vents at the top.

The bottom has an insert that can be easily removed.  I'll go back and do that today because the forecast has two more days of unseasonably high heat.

I really like these hives: https://www.blueskybeesupply.com/polystyrene-hives-components/

Neat hives.  I have seen polystyrene NUC's before, but not complete hive setups.  The insulated hive I use is a plastic material inside and out with an insulating foam core.  So far they're working flawlessly with our high rain volume.

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 03:49:12 pm »

Both the bottom screen and top vents can be closed off.  The top vents have plugs and the bottom screen has the sliding insert in a groove molded into the bottom board that can be removed.

Not sure SHBs can cling onto the screen.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 03:54:49 pm »
I?ve been using the beemax polystyrene hives for over 10 years. They outlasted all of my woodenware deep bodies.

Mine do not have top vents, only a screened bottom board

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 07:52:34 pm »
I?ve been using the beemax polystyrene hives for over 10 years. They outlasted all of my woodenware deep bodies.

Mine do not have top vents, only a screened bottom board

The six-frame nucs of the Paradise hives are the same.

Here in West Texas we have very high temps in the summer.  Not even summer yet and 102* today.  Vents in the top are important.

anything