Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lid material?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Lid material?
« on: April 30, 2020, 12:12:35 pm »
Wanting to make some migratory lids. What material y?all use. I made a couple the other day out of regular plywood. And they are already warping. Anyone used the advantech or HDO plywood?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Lid material?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 12:55:16 pm »
You might add bottom material to this conversation.

See the topic :     Advantech nucs
In the equipment section. Should answer almost any question you may have. If not ask away. 😁

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 01:07:37 pm »
If I was going to make up a bunch of lids I would definitely plan on using Advantech. A lot of my tops are starting to fail. They are made of plywood, wood edging and a metal top and they still fail. Mostly due to the moisture coming out of the hive and out high humidity.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 01:16:37 pm »
> If I was going to make up a bunch of lids I would definitely plan on using Advantech.

Advantech is good. At the same time do not rule out LP Legacy Gorilla Glue board, Advantechs competitor. Made in Alabama, my and your neighboring state. Same good warranty and possibly even a better product than Advantech. This is all discussed in the topic mentioned above, even with bonus tips explaining how to help theses products last even longer. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:28:05 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 01:44:11 pm »
Lids are by far the hardest working and beat down hive component. Make them out of whatever you want, just do not go on the cheap with this part.  My advice is to ensure that in your selection you are thinking in same terms as long term materials used in decking, roofing, fencing, siding. Weatherproofed and durable materials.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 01:46:41 pm »
Lids are by far the hardest working and beat down hive component. Make them out of whatever you want, just do not go on the cheap with this part.  My advice is to ensure that in your selection you are thinking in same terms as long term materials used in decking, roofing, fencing, siding. Weatherproofed and durable materials.

Exactly  :grin:

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 04:11:57 pm »
You might add bottom material to this conversation.

See the topic :     Advantech nucs
In the equipment section. Should answer almost any question you may have. If not ask away. 😁
I?ll check it out. I hardly get out of this section.  :cool:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 04:56:19 pm »

Exactly  :grin:

https://youtu.be/I43wOJ0RXPw

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 06:42:38 am »
We insulate our lids with 20mm Foil board, ply underneath and a tin top.
All the timber has 3 coats of paint before assembling.
The insulation cut out a lot of condensation and so less moisture.
Our oldest lids are about 12 yrs and are just starting to fail in the rims which are pine. It was a light weight pine used, and has started to rot.
Lesson learned as lids are now quality pine, same as the boxes.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 08:04:42 am »
Oldbeavo, I tried the insulated hive tops similar to what you described. Jim had taught me that the tops were effective not only in winter here but summer as well by helping keep the suns hot 🥵 heat out. I tried and liked those but the problem I had was the bees eventually chewed their way up and through the side of these, making their own top vents. I suppose this is just what they needed both summer and winter? They live there, not me! Lol I suppose they know what they need. LoL.

That is when I dumped the idea of insulated hive bodies. Especially when told of a story of an old man living in the Smokey Mountains who had a old hive, particularly rotten, (holes in the corner) who said this was his best producer! It was hard for me to accept in the beginning, that bees did not need help with insulated boxes and such in my area as it gets pretty cold here at times during the winter months. I have gotten over those sentimental thoughts! I bet the folks that make those insulated boxes would not want to see this! Lol 😆

Let me add. I do believe you and Jim are right. The insulated tops, even in my case of chewed out vent holes, let?s the excess heat out while keeping the suns beating down heat out!

Phillip
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:17:17 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 08:28:31 am »
I think the bees like the heat.  I made my covers out of used 3/4 plywood from shipping crates.  Then laid a sheet of ashphalt (known as fire and ice) over the plywood.  In the winter I placed a 2" board of foam insulation on top with a weight.  Because the foam is on the outside the bees couldn't chew it up.  That was all in the north.  I don't know if the heat is too much down here in FL.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it