Do you mark your queens?

Always.
When I find them.
When I am using them for breeding.
Seldom.
Never.
No because I do not want to hurt her.
Why bother.

Author Topic: Do most beeks mark their queens?  (Read 3409 times)

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Do most beeks mark their queens?
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 01:19:47 pm »
There is always the chance of other beekeepers within flight range using Cordovan stock, or a past swarm from your colonies still in the area.  Also, sawdstmakr is correct, if your colonies produce drones there is the chance of the queen going to DCA's that have your drones in them.  The queen will usually fly further to mate than her drones do, but that will depend on the number of DCA's in your area.  If she has limited choices she mates with what is there.

I am not an expert on honey bee mating, but if your Cordovan Queen is cross mated her daughters from that cross mating will not show the Cordovan color.  They will carry the gene but it won't be displayed in them.  If a worker egg is made a queen her color should not be Cordovan.

When open mating the queen mates with 15 to 20 drones, some of which could be Cordovans.  If the worker egg is fertilized with the Cordovan drones semen then the worker has the Cordovan color.  If the egg is selected to be a queen she has the Cordovan color.

If your queen is II mated with only non-cordovan drones, all workers and possible queens should not show Cordovan coloration.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 02:00:55 pm by AR Beekeeper »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 01:56:39 pm »
These are good points and all fair questions to Mr Van, but, in Mr Vans defence, He is a hobbyist AI/II bee breeder, well advanced. I think in his unique case, he probably keeps a closer eye on his hives than most of us put together. I would think it is a pretty safe bet he knows his queens per hive. Not in my case, I had better mark to be sure! lol
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 02:34:06 pm »
Van,
If you have Cordovan Drones why would you not expect Cordovan Queens?
Jim Altmiller

Jim, that is because my queens fly further than my Cordovan drones and cordovan drones are the last breed of drones to hatch.  Yes, there is a chance as you and AR are thinking.  However as Phil pointed out, as a hobbyist with few hives, I would see the Cordovan workers, very yellow that are striking.  I would grab that queen so fast and graft from that queen.  I know which queen is breed to Italian drones and only one bred to Cordovan, my Alpha queen.

I am currently waiting on Cordovan drones, one more week and the drones will be old enough for mating.  The first drones that appear are the Carniolan, source unknown, maybe feral, then Italian drone appear next, last is Cordovan drone.

I just did an Instrumental inseminated of a Cordovan queen but I had to use Italian drones as Cordovan drones are not flying yet.  So also, the time of year, early breed queens are all breed to Carni or Italian.

Blessings

Add:  Cordovan queens darken with age and vary in color somewhat.  I have seen almost neon yellow in full sun to typical yellow of Italian queen but of course with red head, throax and legs.

One last note: if you look closely at a queens throax, the throax varies.  If you wish, I can post pics of 3 different Cordovan queens, each with slightly different throax that is distinguished by a close eye.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:48:28 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 03:00:50 pm »
Van;  What traits other than color are you selecting for?

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 03:29:47 pm »
I will add.  I checked on Alpha early spring before drones were flying so no way a imposter could slipped in.  Alpha also acts like a four year old queen.  Now before you think I am going nuts, let me explain how a four year old queens acts:

Alpha started laying late and very small patches of brood.  The brood was so few in number I was concerned Alpha would be supersedure so I added a frame of capped brood.  Now beginning mid April Alpha is started laying well, a good 4-6 weeks behind my other queens,  sound like a four year old to you?  Agreed not absolute but sure points in that age gender.  Alpha is a F1 generation Latshaw queen, yes, I can tract her genetics for breeding; she was paint marked but after 3 years just a speck remained as of last Fall.  This Spring the speck is gone.

AR, Norvel:
A funny note for AR: I have given away my extra queens to club members in desperate need.  I have need of a queen myself and have none, so I did a newspaper combine.  Kinda funny if ya think about it.   I will have a lot of queens in 2 weeks, but for now, I am out.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2020, 03:53:55 pm »
Van, you have let your good nature get the best of you.  You need to learn to say no.

Have you noticed an increase in longevity in the daughter queens of your Alpha queen?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2020, 05:13:17 pm »
I added a pole for this.
You can select up to 3 answers.
Jim Altmiller

Good idea. Thanks Jim.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2020, 05:40:03 pm »
Van, you have let your good nature get the best of you.  You need to learn to say no.

Have you noticed an increase in longevity in the daughter queens of your Alpha queen?

I have a three year old, daughter that is doing well.  In fact the three year old is my cloak hive for  queen rearing.

I put your nuc in a 10 frame? The queen filled up the 10 frame and swarmed,  the cold weather prevented inspections.  Time I inspected about a week later the hive is full of capped swarm cells.  Prolific, gentle bees you got there Norvel.
Van

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 06:55:32 am »
From the poll, "why bother" is equal to "when I find them". If you have to find a lot of queens in a day then marked queens give you the edge.
If they are not on a frame and running around the box she is easier to find if marked.
Marking to track supersedure is a bit interesting rather than essential.
Marking of introduce queens is important to track the bees acceptance and to also allow evaluation of the queens performance.