Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Metal Queen Excluders and SHB  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Metal Queen Excluders and SHB
« on: April 27, 2020, 01:28:14 pm »
Have any of you in SHB territory, noticed SHB using the space in the grooves (where the slats and ends are joined leaving a crevice as a hiding place), in your metal queen excluders?

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Metal Queen Excluders and SHB
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 08:08:50 am »
You would be lucky to find a SHB around the QX as there is too much activity for them.
Outside frames, under the lid, or at the end of frames where the lugs are. Our bees tend to hassle them if they catch them in the open.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 08:23:16 am »
You would be lucky to find a SHB around the QX as there is too much activity for them.
Outside frames, under the lid, or at the end of frames where the lugs are. Our bees tend to hassle them if they catch them in the open.

Thank you OldBeavo

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 08:27:51 am »
Have any of you in SHB territory, noticed SHB using the space in the grooves (where the slats and ends are joined leaving a crevice as a hiding place), in your metal queen excluders?

Yes....sometimes a lot
I have found that the bees use propolis to fill the gap.
Some designs are worse than others.
I give strong colonies the new excluder to fill the gap. Once filled with propolis no issues.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:57:18 am »

Yes....sometimes a lot
I have found that the bees use propolis to fill the gap.
Some designs are worse than others.
I give strong colonies the new excluder to fill the gap. Once filled with propolis no issues.

Thanks Bee North, that also eases my mind. To explain, I ask the advise of a friend who lives further North about which he recommended that I purchase, metal or plastic. I suppose neither he nor I considered the geographical difference in our locations as we discussed the advantages of metal. He lives where SHB are not prevalent. I am satisfied I did the right thing for the long run. I appreciate both your and Oldbeavos answers.

Phillip Hall

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:48:56 am »
Help them out and fill the gaps with wax so they cannot hide.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 08:15:30 pm »
Buy metal, all of the original cheap plastic have gone.
Buckle with the warmth in the hive.
Edges get brittle on the exposed edges if not enough UV stabiliser in them.
Stick to the super when you try to part them when taking super off.
Plastic are a general pain in the rear end.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 01:26:45 am »
Buy metal, all of the original cheap plastic have gone.
Buckle with the warmth in the hive.
Edges get brittle on the exposed edges if not enough UV stabiliser in them.
Stick to the super when you try to part them when taking super off.
Plastic are a general pain in the rear end.

Yes, I am happy that I listened to the recommendation of my friend and bought the metal, even though I noticed the easy hiding places for beetles, opening my only concern. As Bee North explained, the bees will take care of that if necessary. I am happy, happy, happy as Phil Robertson might say. lol   I should have these in service for a good long time. Thanks all, and especially thank you my friend who recommended the metal in the first place, you have never steered me wrong. 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 07:40:08 am »
Ben,
You do want a plastic excluder available. I use them to make temporary queen includers for swarms. For nucs, I have round sections out of one and staple it over the entrance for a couple of days. On nucs with bottom entrances, I cut a rectangular one and staple it on. The first time I cut one was when I made my observation hive. The entrance has 3 positions, open , closed and queen excluder which is a round piece glued in. I never use them for queen/honey excluders bee t I do use them to keep the queen in.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 09:55:38 am »
Thanks Jim, I am going to be sure to take your advice for the very reasons you suggested. A few plastic ones on hand for those reasons, plus a project that I have coming up, will be just what is needed. Thanks

anything