Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm moved into one of my empty hives  (Read 1048 times)

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
swarm moved into one of my empty hives
« on: April 26, 2020, 01:15:11 am »
Hi, all!

I can't remember if I posted about how all my hives left left fall, but I have some good news this year! I left two of the three hive setups out while putting my nicest, cleanest hive composed of two brood boxes and a honey super away in the garden shed. The other two had wax moth infestations that at the time I was sadly unmotivated to clean up. Also, on of the hives (two brood boxes tall) is ready to fall apart... it's just really, really old, or the wood must've not been taken care of by the old owner. Anyways, that one's almost falling apart, and the other hive is just a singular brood box, in great condition... other than the wax moths. So I cleaned up the new one about a month ago, scraping off all the wax and larva (and feeding them to the chickens!), and putting a few of the nice, drawn frames from the hive in the shed in this box outside. I thought it might attract a swarm. Over a week ago a swarm moved into the old, rickety...wax-moth larva infested hive. Why that hive? I don't know. Maybe they needed more space. Anyways, I opened the hive for a couple minutes just to see how they were doing. They've completely removed all traces of wax moths! I didn't see a queen, or eggs. They're SUPER calm. :)

I've moved my other hive from the shed outside again.

We're in the middle of spring wildflowers, oaks, and a few varieties of bushes blooming.

My questions are:
What should I expect to see from a swarm? Is there anything I should do for them?

thank you in advance!
-Lizzie

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: swarm moved into one of my empty hives
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:38:49 am »
Lizzie. The same thing happened to me last year. Congrats!
Expect a swarm to build fast. Yesterday, I opened a swarm box, and the colony had almost completely built 6 frames of comb from scratch (foundaltionless frames) in a week. They are gentle at this stage.
I leave them alone for a week, so they build comb and lay brood. Then the colony will be inclined to stay and not abscond. After a week, check on them and give them more space as needed.
Some say to feed, but a swarm in the middle of a flow, in a deep box has all they need, as I see it. Let the bees do their thing. After a week or two, you can move them into the nicer box., and put it in the spot where they are now.
Enjoy!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:43:35 am »
I agree with what bob said.  They probably picked that old box because it smelled better than a newer one and was the right size.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 09:14:32 am »
Congratulations Lizzie.
Listen to Bob and Cao.
Only put one drawn comb, up against one side and fill the rest of the hive with empty frames. Use the oldest, worst looking frame. After the bees move in add the drawn frames as a super.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SkoroBees

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 02:40:49 pm »
you just don't know what those bees are gonna do!!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:46:13 am »
Must be the year for bees to take up old residences.  Assuming the frames are in good order I would change the box after they get it half full.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 08:55:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments! I haven?t opened the hive since last time. I?m excited to move them over, but not in much of a rush. They seem pretty busy. Will check tomorrow maybe.

Something weird and random happened today... I was sitting by the pool, doing homework, and I heard a loud buzzing sound despite wearing earbuds, listening to music. I looked to my right and a large gray mass In the air was getting closer... Bees! It kinda scared me for a second, but they were high enough in the air that they didn?t bother me. I guess somebody?s hive swarmed! Not mine, though, I looked at mine right away once the swarm passed. I put a drop of lemongrass oil in the two other empty hives just in case they want to take a look around. :)

-Lizzie

anything