Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shaking swarms in the rain  (Read 1210 times)

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Shaking swarms in the rain
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:56:07 am »
I can't even express my disdain for this weather. Two weeks of  60s and 70s in early February; the red maples are to seed and the ornamental cherries have half their petals on the ground already. Then it got cool and wet, "normal" February temps up into the 40s, overcast most days, rain some.  And back and forth, warm and sunny for a day or so; then cold and wet.

And I work a day job, so no bees on the M-F (which I also have some disdain for but that's another thing). This weekend will be the third in a row it's forecasted rainy.

Neighbors report drones in their hives; none in mine that I've seen (two weeks ago). But I just dread that there are swarm cells in my hives and I can't get to them on a sunny day.  So I might have to do it in the rain.

Tips and tricks for working bees in the yuck? If I have to shake a false swarm into a box on a wet day that won't make them want to abscond will it (that would be very sad indeed!)?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Shaking swarms in the rain
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 06:40:38 am »
A false swarm will be fine.
Remember, destroying queen cells will NOT prevent a swarm. They will swarm anyway and the hive will die from queenlessness.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 08:13:03 am »
Matt,
When I get a call for a swarm while it is raining, even it it is a long way away, I will go get it. During the rain they will stay put. With working your own bees it will give them time to settle in to their new hive. One thing you can do is use The old banging method. Add a second box on top of the inner cover, seal up the hive, and bang on the hive for five minutes. This was done with skep hives to create false swarms. It is explained in the Hive and The Honey Bee. Should work with a Langstroth.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 04:09:19 pm »
Maybe use one of those pop up shelters that people use for picnics, welding, etc if you have room around the hive.  They go up and down in a minute.   Or get a family member or friend to hold a big umbrella over the hive while you work.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 07:53:26 am »
I once used a plastic covered wood construction, quite similar to those pop up tents. Wirked just fine, just put a quuen in the middle off the tent roof and you can collect a swarm there too.