Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Today I Made  (Read 31619 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Today I Made
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2023, 10:58:09 pm »
Hi Phillip.

The mesh on top allows beetles to get through and the fine fly mesh underneath prevents them from entering the hive from underneath or to escape from the bottom board. The fine mesh will also keep other insects out and will also provide some ventilation. All of this is in theory at this stage.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2023, 05:20:47 am »
I think you've done well. The gutter screen was a 'great idea' considering you had problems readily finding #8 Hardware cloth.. Keep us updated please Sir. And thanks! :grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2023, 11:14:17 pm »
It's good you found a better way to scrap you wax Les.

Excessive propolis is a deal in my area. I stumbled upon a way to clean propolis off the 'frame rest' edges of boxes 'pronto' a few years ago.
By using the stainless 'scraper' blade on a multi function, electric oscillating tool, the frame rest can be cleaned promptly.  The best time I found to do so is when its cold and the propolis is brittle.

Phillip
Good idea Phillip. Propolis is a pain when it is warm. The vibrations would help it to release quickly when it is cold.

In my area the best time to do so is now until the end of February with the bonus of cooler weather.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2023, 10:27:55 pm »
Knocked up 10 presentation boxes for tomorrows Xmas market. Some of the pallet material was a bit twisted but I still managed to get enough timber for 10 boxes. All joints are mitred with an MDF base slipped into a groove during assembly. Mitres were nailed from both directions negating any requirement for glue. Just under 2 hours all up so I was happy with that.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2023, 10:43:48 pm »
Well done Les. Does your Christmas Market Event usually produce a big crowd of folks? What temperature range  (f)  can you basically expect in your region of Australia this festive time of year?
I hope you sell every item!

Phillip
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 11:06:09 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2023, 11:38:04 pm »
Hi Phillip,

If the day is reasonable, there should be a good crowd will who hopefully buy a lot for Xmas. School holidays start today and there is already a lot of traffic on the roads. Tourists will be here now until the end of January. We have had some hot days up to 100F in our area in the past week but tomorrow will be around 77F which should be pleasant. The observation hive will love that sort of temperature. Last Sunday we had a special market in a different location to where we normally sell. It was drizzling with rain all day. 80% of our honey sold on that day. It was our best outing to date. Perhaps it was a new area with different clientele or it could have been people out buying gifts for friends and family. Decorative honey jars, gift packs and all honey jars sold well. Hopefully tomorrow will produce similar results.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2023, 12:08:09 am »
"Last Sunday we had a special market in a different location to where we normally sell. It was drizzling with rain all day. 80% of our honey sold on that day. It was our best outing to date. Perhaps it was a new area with different clientele or it could have been people out buying gifts for friends and family.  Decorative honey jars, gift packs and all honey jars sold well. Hopefully tomorrow will produce similar results."

Perhaps both, with a touch of good salesmanship along with good ethics combined, including your wise marketing strategies which you have kindly shared here.

Les you have been a shining example of what can be accomplished with a bit of 'going the extra effort'. I salute you and your family, while thanking you for sharing your strategies while posting such here at Beemaster Forums throughout conversations with our fellow Beemaster Members.

"Merry Christmas" to you and yours!

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2023, 12:25:47 am »
May you, your family and the rest of the forum also have a festive season filled with cheer and share the joy of having loved ones close by.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2023, 05:15:55 am »
May you, your family and the rest of the forum also have a festive season filled with cheer and share the joy of having loved ones close by.

Thank you Les..  🙂

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2023, 03:33:27 pm »
Used up the last of my pallet material yesterday making some more boxes for honey gift packs. They sold well at the markets on Sunday. Time to go out, find some more and break them up. I ordered a pneumatic denailer a couple of days ago. When it arrives I?ll give a report on how well it works. A guy on the stall next to me on Sunday bought one and said that it was a good toy for that purpose. Hopefully it will save a lot of time.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2023, 10:31:37 pm »
I ordered a pneumatic denailer a couple of days ago. When it arrives I?ll give a report on how well it works.

Got one from Amazon just a few weeks ago. Only played with it a little and think it will be a huge time saver. Sends 90+% all the way out! Plan to set up a small plastic barrel with something inside that will prevent the nails from ricocheting and going every where.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2023, 12:56:32 am »
This is the first I've heard of a pneumatic denailer. Have these been out for a while or are they something new?

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2023, 01:36:38 am »
I?d never heard of them either. Mine arrived today. I will get a few pallets to give it a work out in a few days. Don?t know how long they have been around. Only heard about them on Sunday. It was a Chinese unit and cost me $78Au. Will post some pics and a report when I get a chance.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2023, 07:40:13 am »
This is the first I've heard of a pneumatic denailer. Have these been out for a while or are they something new?
Suggestion on Amazon when I bought a pallet buster "Frequently bought together". Mine was $50, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X2QM3G

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2023, 08:32:37 am »
William,
If you look at the reviews, that unit tends to jam a lot. I think it?s mainly when you try to remove skinny headless nails. Bee careful.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2023, 03:57:38 pm »
That?s similar to the unit that I purchased. Should be great for removing pallet nails. The guy who I spoke to said that some nails would be pushed out fully and would fly around the workshop. A bucket or bin with a cover should prevent this from occurring as well as holding the waste nails.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #196 on: December 21, 2023, 12:09:58 am »
The nail remover has a tube that passes over the point of the nail. If the nail is bent, it can be straightened with the device just prior to pulling the trigger. A lid was made for a bucket which contained a hole for the nails to be punched through. The denailer worked as expected and punched all nails into the bucket within a minute or so. This is going to be a real time saver.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2024, 11:37:31 pm »
With a bit of rain around, it was going to be a day in the workshop. Had the laser cutter running most of the morning running off a couple of projects for the grandkids followed by some end bars for comb honey frames. While I was gluing up the end bars, I loaded some material into the machine and started cutting comb honey frames. It was nice to be able to do two things at once.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2024, 11:43:03 pm »
It's good to see you are enjoying your Laser machine Les....

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2024, 02:32:36 am »
With markets coming up in a couple of weeks, thought it would be a good idea to turn up a few wooden lids for my feature jars. A few adjustments were made to the burn rates on the bee image which produced much better results. The first coat of Danish oil was liberally applied and really lifted the engraved lines and gave greater contrast and clarity.

anything