Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Population Explosion  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Population Explosion
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:16:48 am »
My farm is growing.  The chickens are laying eggs as well as the Turkeys...I had to explain what the brown freckled eggs were to my wife (the city girl).  Two pigeons can become over 30 in a years time if you let them.  But the kings of multiplication are the rabbits.  After getting a new buck I now have had 2 does kindle a total of 15 bunnies this last Friday.  I still have 2 more does to kindle ssoooo.....If at fist I don't Friccassee, I'll just fry, fry again.  (Elmer Fudd)

My wife thought the does would only have 2 or 3 at a time.  I told her 2 or 3 meant a bad doe or poor buck and that it was not unusual to have as many as 12 per litter with a good doe and buck. 

On the plus side, the 2 feral kittens my daughter brought home, taking up residence in the barn, have begun to deplete the mice population.  They work together and have already increased their hunting territory to the hay stack and the shed.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Population Explosion
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:25:29 pm »
I consider you lucky. I have always wanted to live in the country and have lots of animals. However today it seems everyone is very proud of their property and asking too much for so little.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 05:54:32 pm »
Those dang wabbits!
We've got 1 Buck, 3 Does, and 36 Fryers just about ready for the pan.  They are amazing.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 02:16:14 am »
Hit the serendipity jackpot, no not the lottery, you  have to play to win that.  A friend who's moving back to Colorado to take over the family farm from his ailing father just gave me a years worth of bailed hay---free.  I had 3 bails break while unloading the 1st truck full but it kept the goats from climbing onto the truck to eat what was there before I had a chance to stack it in the lean to.  Only 4 more truck loads to go at 24 bails per load  (1/2 ton 4X4).
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:45:09 pm »
Sounds like the lottery to me. Right now good alfalfa is going for as much as $150/ton here in Northern Utah. You got a lottery's winnings worth of hay is what I would say.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 01:21:43 pm »
Brian, yeah!!!!  Babies galore....I really want to try some rabbit one day, you gonna cook some for the bbq?  Remember to save room for my ducks, hee, hee, they are about 6 pounds each, hope that will be enough, you will have to let me know, I can bring as many as you think needed....

About the hay thing, that is indeed a wonderful thing, think of how many animals you can feed with that, maybe you will have more increase in hay eating animals now....beauty.  Have a most wonderful and awesomely great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything