Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best lighter for smoker?  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: Best lighter for smoker?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 10:25:01 am »
Figured the regular lighters I've been using were poor. These self-ignition lighters intrigue me, I'm not exactly sure what they are. They seem to be expensive, from what I can see.

Maybe I'll just get myself a BBQ lighter. When I initially started beekeeping, I bought the only BBQ lighter available from my local hardware store. After not too long, it stopped working, seemed to release gas but lost it's spark mechanism. Bought another one. Shortly after, it broke again. My uncle saw me using the crappy ligher and saw that I was burning my fingers often, so he bought me a BBQ lighter.... the same one I already had, and of course, it broke again. Not sure if they're just very poor quality, or if they're not supposed to be lit for the duration I was doing them for. I gave up and have been using lighters since this event.

Now that I'm looking, I can see that I can purchase a Creme brulee torch for $20-30 online. Is this a self ignition lighter?
I think this is what they're talking about.... not exactly 'self' igniting, but quick and easy.
https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-336737-WT2301-Trigger-Propane/dp/B004FPZACE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536067374&sr=8-4&keywords=propane+torch
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 01:26:15 pm »
Yes, Bush, exactly what I use, benzomatic: lites with one click.  A single bottle of propane last well over a year.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 03:03:22 pm »
Michael and Van,
Do you leave them on the propane tank? I have one that I quit using because it leaks. Then when I take it (and torches) off and the tanks also leak. Does this one empty the tank just sitting in the cabinet?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 08:43:03 am »
Jim if it leaks throw it away and get a new one.  Any time I take a tip off a propane cylinder I blow on the seating valve and give it the sniff test.
The top of a propane cylinder is raw steel.  Due to the high humidity in FL you are probably better off not taking the tip off and on because one spec of rust in that valve and it will empty your cylinder.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 05:53:47 pm »
>Do you leave them on the propane tank? I have one that I quit using because it leaks.

Mine have never leaked.  I do leave the tank on and the gas knob on and the switch on.  You could turn the gas knob off but that may or may not fix your leak.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 07:21:44 pm »
Thanks. I think I will take it apart, clean it up and test it again.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 10:26:46 pm »
Mine does not leak.  In fact I am using the same tank I placed on the tourch last year.  I did use silicon tape on the tank for a good seal.  I do turn the gas nob to off when not in use.  I could not ask for a better tourch, one click and the tourch is on.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 11:19:48 pm »
I'm careful about turning the smoker into a flame thrower, once it gets good and lit I let it sit for a couple minutes as I put on my gear and move into the yard. It's mainly light puffs for smoke once it gets going.