BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Creamed honey advice

<< < (2/6) > >>

NigelP:
It's a dedicated machine Les, made by Lyson.
Here is  a link to the one I have.....it was much cheaper when I bought it....
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/creaming-machines/honey-creaming-and-liquefier-machine-100l/

I think in the tropical Australian heat you would struggle to make good soft set, even with a machine. I have to make all mine in our UK winter as it's too warm in the summer and the end product is nowhere near as good, as everything overheats. Heat is your enemy when making soft set. I wish Lyson would make a creamer with a Peltier cooling system, then it would be perfect.

Lesgold:
I had a look at the Lyson machines today. It?s a pretty big outlay. I?m just going to have a play with a couple of kilos of honey and see how it turns out. I think I should be OK during the winter months but that would be the only time. I will see what happens with my test run using refrigeration and working the honey in the manner you suggested. Local beekeepers do make some so it is possible. For me, it?s just the fun of trying.

Lesgold:
Just a bit of an update on how the creamed honey process is going. As I only attend markets every fortnight, I don?t need large amounts of creamed honey. I have looked at the Lyson creamer that Nigel uses but I couldn?t justify the expense considering the small amount that I sell. That being said, creamed honey is quite popular and I tend to make a batch up every month. The homemade stirrer is still used and does a pretty good job. It would be nice to get the white honey that Nigel achieves and I?m constantly looking for improvement. Being in Australia has its challenges due to heat. I currently use my camping fridge set at 10 degrees C which is as high a temp that I can achieve. 14 to 16 degrees would be nice but I?ll have to make do with what I have. Once the starter is mixed to a pail of honey, it is placed into the fridge and stirred twice a day for 3 days. It is then bottled into 400 gram jars and stored in the fridge for about two weeks. The honey is then moved into an esky cooler for storage in the house. Even on hot days the creamed honey remains cool. The photo is of a jar that has been in the fridge for about 5 days. In the future I think I will make a specific creamed honey fridge where I can set the temperature precisely.

Kathyp:
That looks like it worked out well.  I had a jar that was perfect and used it for seed for ages.  Always got great creamed honey. Then someone ate it, and all that I had made I'd given away.  Never had quite as nice a crystal naturally again  :sad:

Lesgold:
It was a bit of a task but I made my own seed honey initially. I?ve used it now for about a years or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version